OCD V4 review by Fulltone

Fulltone: OCD V4

Purchased from: Hot Rox UK

I use I Strat into a Hot Rod Deluxe for my sounds - this is my first proper overdrive/distortion stomp box (as opposed to my previous multi-effects) and after trying out several other I find this one to be far and away superior. For example, it is incredibly versatile; crank the volume up and put the Drive down to 0 and you get an amazingly powerful clean boost. Work up the Drive knob a bit and you get a lovely semi-break up sound. If you really crank the Drive knob you get lots of gain - more than I'll ever need for non-solo work. My favourite part of the sound is that for almost all of the gain that can be put on the sound remains clear and punchy. Not the slightest bit of mud. However, towards maximum gain the sound can get a only a little grating and unclear - really it's my only complaint and nothing that would stop me cranking it to those levels of gain. One thing I definitely noticed was that even on maximum gain there was barely ANY noise - and I play on single coils! The sounds themselves are full, punchy and respond WONDERFULLY to your picking and guitar volume. Seriously, I played a song that went through 3 levels of Overdrive without changing my rig settings - all I had to do was play lighter or harder according to the section! On the LP setting the OCD is very transparent - on this setting it works best as a clean boost or for medium and clear Overdrive. On the HP setting apparently it sounds more 'Marshall-like' according to the instructions - I'd say this is fairly accurate but it wasn't as good of a clone of the Marshall sound of other pedals that I've heard. Regardless, this setting has more gain and bottom-end and sounds great! Although, I prefer the LP setting as it sounds more smooth and pleasant to my ears. One of my favourite things about the box is that you can hit a chord (like it says on the website) - hold it - and hear all these fantastic harmonics over the top. It sounds amazing.

I can see this pedal being a permanent addition to my rig well into the future. It is incredibly versatile and suit's most of my styles extremely well; although I can't see it being heavily used for a lot of my alternative work but maybe as a clean boost. It is voiced amazingly well for classic/vintage sounds and most of the spectrum of rock and blues. I can see this being switched on for almost all my sounds and I can't recommend this pedal enough! I would certainly buy again if stolen - but I wouldn't be too pleased as the unit is EXPENSIVE! At least in the UK it is. There is nothing else I would want on this pedal... Well... It would be awesome if it was joined at the hip to a Beano Boost and a Sun Face I'll give the overall a 9 due to it's price and a few worries I have in reliability.

The box seems fairly sturdy although it's so small I get the impression I'll crush it at some point. Also, the battery life is fairly long; only lasts 20 hours so I really wouldn't gig without an adaptor. On all other points I give it a big thumps up! I can see this pedal last me a long time.

I am reviewing version 4 of the Fulltone OCD. Firstly, it is incredibly easy to get a good sound out of this pedal - I have yet to find a setting that I didn't really like with the tone knob below 3 o'clock. All of the knobs and what they do are really self-explanatory and simple - Volume, Tone and Drive.