Greenie Classic Distortion review by GFS

GFS: Greenie Classic Distortion

Purchased from: www.Guitarfetish.com

I use this more for a boost rather than for Overdrive sounds. I run this with a Bugera 333 and a Krank Nineteen 80. The sound change is very subtle, but it is deffinately noticeable when using this pedal. The nice surprise is that when it is off it is a true bypass pedal, so no tone sucking. This was my 2nd Overdrive pedal I have purchased. It works fine for a boost, but it does get a nice Overdrive tone on a clean channel. The gain will do AC/DCish amount of gain, but this is common for most OD pedals. The 3 way switch will give you many more options than your typical tube Screamer pedal will. I use it on the Fat mode mostly.

I have been playing guitar since '94, but have never really been into FX other than Delay/Chorus/Wah. Then I was reading up on helping sustain/lead boost and Tube Screamers were what everyone recomended. With the frequency that I use it, I really didn't want to spend $100 on a pedal that will see less than 2 hour of play a month. I would recomend this pedal to anyone who wants a good sound and doesn't want to spend alot of money. The only thing is I wish it did not cut as much bass as it does, but it is not intolerable.

The GFS Greeny Classic seams pretty rugged for such an inexpensive pedal. The chasis is all metal, wich seems like it will take the normal giging abuse you would expect any good quality pedal to take. I would gig without a backup to this pedal. I use the 9-volt battery to power it rather than using the AC adapter, I never worrie about power outlets this way and it keeps out-side noise tamed.

This is a straight forward pedal. 1 tone, 1 level and 1 gain knob. It also has a 3 way mini toggle switch that gives 3 slightly diff settings: Classic, Fat and Tight. It is in a metal chasis, so it is fairly rugged in design. True bypass operation, so no tone sucking when not in use. It can run off of a single 9-volt battery or a 9-volt AC adapter. It came with a pece of paper that gives 4 settings to start with and a simple overview of features.