EBow Review

manufacturer: Heet Sound date: 07/10/2006 category: Guitar Effects
Heet Sound: EBow
The EBow is a hand-held electronic bow for guitar. The small battery-powered unit replaces the pick in the right hand letting the guitarist mimic strings, horns, and woodwinds with unbelievable sensitivity. The EBow produces a powerful infinite sustain, rich in harmonics for incredible guitar sounds.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 3,319
reviews (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
EBow Reviewed by: coldbean, on april 08, 2005

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Ease of Use: First of all not many people know about the EBow. It is a handheld electronic bow device that lets you sustain a note on your guitar for ever (basically until the batteries run out). It is easy to use though it takes you anywhere to 10 to 30 minutes to get used to it. It takes the place of the Pick in your hand. It produces an awsome suond! The manual includes an instructional tape that tells you everything you need to know. // 10

Sound: Setup is easy all you need is one 9 volt battery (mine has lasted scince December). It is very noisy because it increases the volume of your guitar. How it works is it usees the pickups on your giutar and vibrates the string forever. You use mainly the pickup closest to the fretboard. I can definantly get the sounds of my favorite artists being Coldplay and The Killers who are the only two I've hear it from. Coldplay use it on thier live DVD and it sounds awsome. I went out and and bought it because it sounded great. The Killers use it on thier album on "Smile Like You Mean It" it forms the chorus melodie so it is great for that kind of work. You can get many sounds out of it (i.e. chello, violin, woodwind instuments, harmonica and of course the great rock gutar sound). Other features: it can be used as a slide and the front pickup is its hot spot so the closer you get to it the louder the sound so it works great for fading in and out. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You con definantly depend on it. I would use it with only a back up battery in case the other one wears out. It works reat live. // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play any thing from soft rock to metal and the EBow works great in all situations. I have been playing for four years. I also own 2 effects pedals and an acoustic guitar (the EBow doesn't work on acoustics unless it is electric). If it was stolen or lost I would replace it in a heart beat. I love the awsome sound it makes I don't like that you somtimes get some feedback from it which is good somtimes too. I can't compare it because its a one of a kind product. I highly recommend this product. // 10

EBow Reviewed by: vampwizzard, on july 10, 2006

Purchased from: Alto Music Middletown NY

Ease of Use: I put in a battery, turned it on, held it to the strings and was amazed. The manual tells how to get it to work then basically tells you to go bananas and experiment. Its easy out of the box, but is going to take a hell of a long time to master. // 7

Sound: I play an american series strat from Fender through Fender tube amps and a Marshall combo amp. The effect is amazing. I wanted to get the "Stand Inside Your Love" solo sound from the Smashing Pumpkins and I got it almost effortlessly. It takes some practicing to be able to manipulate the sound, but once you get it its incredible. I have the plus model which includes a harmonizing mode which is really amazing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The body is made of plastic and felt skimpy out of the box. However, put the battery in and it becomes a hell of a lot sturdier. Id use it without a backup. It's more of a toy then anything. Seems sturdy enough for my uses. I've seen guitarists throw them to the ground after use and they seem to have to problems. // 9

Overall Impression: I play '70s/'90s rock and it is a great Tool to shape sounds. The thing will let you emulate harmonica, horns and woodwinds (and if you follow the instructions it is very easy to actually get those sounds). This is definately a highly suggested buy for any guitarist looking for texture. // 9

Comments