Soul Press Volume/Expression/Wah-Wah Pedal review by Hotone

Hotone: Soul Press Volume/Expression/Wah-Wah Pedal

Price paid: € 89

Purchased from: Keuringsdienst van Snaren

This is where it gets marked down. The only thing I really don't like is the wiring schematic. The mode has to be selected by hand, which can be annoying during a gig. I can live with this, but something else really bothers me: the expression pedal uses the same output. This means it's physically impossible to use it as an expression pedal for one song and as a wah/volume for the next. So please, Hotone, if you're reading: wire it like a Morley (on = wah, off = volume) and add an extra switch (preferably a big button that can be pushed using your feet) to switch it to expression mode. Also, this needs to switch to an EXTRA jack output so you don't have to take it out of your chain and wire it up to the pedal you're using it with (a DD7 for me). If this flaw is fixed, it's hands down the best wah on the market imho, at an idiotic price.

The sound is awesome. It has a switch inside that lets you choose from three different wah sounds, so pick whichever one you like. Hotone say it is based on a Crybaby but I like this one even better. It has a very clear top end and a chuggy bass. The volume pedal is just a very straight forward volume pedal. I use it in front of a 20W Jet City (Soldano based) and it works terrific. It has seen several other amps and works well with all of them. It is quite quiet; it just applies the wah effect to any hum already present.

It's a quality product. The solid metal casing is very sturdy and will withstand any abuse you'll throw at it. The finish is fine, hasn't got a single scratch yet (though it has only been sitting on my pedalboard really). Definitely doesn't need a backup. It's ideal for live playing if you just use one feature (or wah and volume if you have time to switch). I elaborately rant about this below.

I play anything from clean stuff to some serious metal. It handles everything from bluesy solos to Hendrix to Metallica solos very well. Have been playing for about ten years, and I really like this better than the wah's I've owned before (morley and different crybabies). The small size is a big plus: it's one of the few wahs available that will fit on my Pedaltrain Mini. I chose this over the Mini Crybaby because of the volume/expression options and because I liked the sound just a little better.

melecaonce
    I've bought mine this week and can't use wah on clean sounds, as I press the pedal modulating the wah, i also get noise like scratching something. Impossible to use on clean sounds. So sad ! I loved the pedal, the wah quality, but don't know what to do.
    dalyjohn001
    Great to start but wah now too noisy to use. Agree with " the expression pedal uses the same output. This means it's physically impossible to use it as an expression pedal for one song and as a wah/volume for the next."..so now it's an expensive volume pedal and I've gone back to my cry baby..
    dalyjohn001
    wah too noisy after a weeks use..agree with." the expression pedal uses the same output. This means it's physically impossible to use it as an expression pedal for one song and as a wah/volume for the next" so I've now got an expensive volume pedal (at least it's small) and have reverted to my cry-baby..
    yesfan3587
    I have one of these and have had major problems with the Wah side of things. It more than doubles my volume whenever I activate it, way more than a wah pedal should. I am emailing Hotone since the post above had a positive experience. Also, the review says there is an internal switch that lets you choose your wah sound. I have found no such switch, nor any evidence elsewhere that there is one. Can someone please enlighten me to the location of this mystery switch? Unless they're referring to the external switch for wah/exp/vol?
    marniksx
    Wow, sorry. I got things badly messed up here: the internal switches are on the crybaby mini which is on the mini crybaby (which I replaced with this). Apologies! Regarding the volume difference: mine doesn't really do that, but I will have a good listen when I get home.
    urrutiafrancis2
    First off let me say that I've had one heck of a ride with this pedal. I bought one from a dealer on ebay for 95 dollars, thinking I would save 5 dollars. That was a big mistake. The pedal came brand new in the box, but had some faults. The wah side sounded ok, but was very noisy. The volume side however was terrible. It had a crackle in the pot that became louder over time. Any swell was just drowned out by pops from the pedal. I emailed the seller off of ebay many times to get no response. I was very upset and out of 95 dollars. I emailed Hotone and once they got back from NAMM man did they come to my rescue. They were upset with this pedal not making their standards and very quickly remedied the situation. Not only did they send me a new Soul press without question, they aslo sent me a box full of awesome stickers and a t shirt that looks amazing on my girlfriend. Didn't have to send the broken one back which has now also become a staple to my board. If you buy a TRS cable, this thing becomes an amazing expression pedal. No power required! Unlike most expression pedals, this has an on/off switch like a wah. So has a delay expression you can build up some sick self oscillation and then cut it off with one click. Amazing quite pedal and superb customer service. I will personally answer any questions anyone has about this pedal as a payback service to hotone. Don't question, just buy it.
    urrutiafrancis2
    Mine is far from quite. The wah amplifies any hum that was already there and the volume is so crackly that it's impossible to use. Sounds like there's a static tv inside the pedal and plays loud over any swell I try to play. I tried to give hotone the benefit of the doubt but any email or Facebook message I send them goes Un answered