CF7 Chorus/Flanger Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 06/01/2009 category: Guitar Effects
Ibanez: CF7 Chorus/Flanger
Highly versatile, capable of producing vintage chorus, flange, and modern modulation effects, everything from shimmering soundscapes to jet plane whooshes. A Krazy switch lets you choose between 'normal" and 'whack'd" modes.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 9,757
reviews (5) pictures (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
CF7 Chorus/Flanger Reviewed by: crazy_geetarist, on february 09, 2004

Purchased from: Ardens Music

Ease of Use: This pedal was very simple to find the flange and chorus tones I was looking for. It's very easy to tweak aswell. The manual had some decent starters settings, but weren't really nessacery. // 10

Sound: This pedal sounds great. Clean or distorted. Chorus or flange. With my Hamer strat copy, Boss DS-2, Boss EH-2 and crate practice amp, it produces a very thick flange and can go to an extreme jet plane with a longer delay time. The chorus is very deep and can do subtle chorusing to an extreme vibrato sound depending on the speed setting. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very dependable and durable casing. I'd gig without a back up for sure. The tone-lok knobs are a great feature. I can set it for the tone I want, lock the knobs and forget about it. no worrying about pre gig resetting because of knobs moving during transportation. // 10

Overall Impression: I play nu-metal and metal and its a great match. If it were stolen or lost I'd definitely replace it. The only other flange I'd ever want is an Ibanez FL9, but I'd still keep the CF7 on my pedalboard, it's irraplaceable. If you're looking for a versitle modulation pedal, the Ibanez CF7 is a great pedal that covers varioul levels of modulation. // 8

CF7 Chorus/Flanger Reviewed by: Mabu4237, on june 01, 2009

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Ease of Use: I bought this pedal for the sake of building my first pedal board, because I needed a chorus sound and I was on a budget. It is definitely the easiest pedal to get a great sound out of in my rig, it takes less than a minute to find a good tone for what you are playing, and each dial is pretty self explanatory. Within two minutes of picking it up I got a perfect tone, not having a manual to guide me or anything. It has four dials on it: Speed, Regen, Depth and Delay, these also serve as controls for the flanger setting which is just as easy to use as the chorus and sounds fantastic. // 10

Sound: I run my CF7 through this setup. PRS Custom SE 24 - Dunlop CGB95 Wah - Boss DS1 - Boss MT2 - Ibanez CF7 - Fender Superchamp XD. It is absolutely silent regardless of setting, one of the features I am most impressed with. The only weak sounds produced by the CF7 are when it is on the WHACK'D setting... yes... I know it sounds childish.. I guess that Whack'd is some kind of ring modulator setting... but it tends to make the guitar sound unintelligible for human listening. The flanger and chorus are both amazingly versatile and are able to handle almost any kind of cover one might want to play. I can get a great early Red Hot Chili Peppers (Blood Sex Sugar Magik) sound from the chorus pedal, splashy chorus for Pink Floyd on songs such as Run Like Hell and a deep probing chorus for Metallica. As far as the flanger it is easily capable of covering anything you might throw at it from Paul Gilbert to Hendrix. An added bonus that I discovered accidentally while fiddling with the settings is a Vibrato you can achieve by setting all of the knobs to 50% and putting the switches on chorus/wack'd. You can adjust the width of the vibrato by tweaking the delay time knob. A great part of this pedal is the stereo output capability... all around great pedal // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's built like a Boss pedal or in other words yes it's dependable. I could gig to hell and back without changing a battery or worrying about it falling apart like a flimsy Danelectro. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from Bluegrass to Speed Metal and it can handle whatever I dish out. I have been playing for 2-3 years and I have a Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 SE (2009), Boss MT-2 (2008), Boss DS-1 (?), Ibanez CF7 (?) and a Fender Super Champ XD (2008) If it was stolen I'd definitely replace it! Its too good of a value not to! I love everything about it and my favorite feature is the chorus because its SO versatile it can cover 40 years of music and much more.. especially when if you were to divide the price ($30) by the effects.. for a 15$ chorus it is amazing!! // 7

CF7 Chorus/Flanger Reviewed by: acytonestd69, on march 13, 2006

Purchased from: Ted Herbert's

Ease of Use: This pedal is simple to use and worth every penny. The manual is alright, it gives you a good idea how to create certain sounds. I prefer making my own settings. I like it a lot because it has a very vintage sound and futuristic look. // 10

Sound: I play Ibanez SZ's a Fender half stack and a 60 watt Kustom, along with other Tonelock pedals. I use it mainly for the chorus effect. It works fine alone and as good if not better with distortion. I don't get much bad feed back from this pedal, all depends on the channel I'm playing on. The effect can become weak if not set right, or can be just plain old wacked out as hell if not set right. But that's life, a series of failed attempts to fly. I model my clean sound after Mark Tremonti, I have it almost to the exact sound he has, except I don't use Boss pedals, I do Ibanez. // 9

Reliability & Durability: If you read previous reviews from me you'll know by know I trust Ibanez products very much. I depend on this pedal so god damn much because I always have it on, or else it sounds real plain and like not very active. Not only would I use it with out a backup I have done that. I have 2 CF7's, only because I'm making an exact of my pedal board so I can have one at my house and 1 at the drummer's house. // 10

Overall Impression: I play hard rock/alt. metal. It has a real good blending sound. I've been playing for about 5-6 years now. I use Ibanez, Samick, and Epiphone guitars and mostly Kustom amplification. I wish I had asked if they could include a 9v. battery. If this pedal got stolen I would get another one (despite the fact I have another one, that is for my Pedal board B). I love that it is so easy to create your own sound with. I hate one thing about it. Sometimes when you activate it it doesn't stay activated, It's a minor glitch that is easily solved with a battery to create more tension when pressing down. My fav. feature about this pedal is that it is both a Chorus pedal and a flanger. I don't remember what I compared to, but I do remember what the major diff. was the tonal quality. I wish it had a sensitive tap system (barely have to touch it to activate it). // 10

CF7 Chorus/Flanger Reviewed by: aeliustehman, on july 02, 2008

Purchased from: Guitar Center Nashville

Ease of Use: This pedal is pretty much just a chorus/flanger pedal, it has four knobs (speed, depth, delay time, regen) you can turn that effect the sound, a chorus/flanger switch, a normal or wack'd switch (which is very wack'd), and of course the pedal control. There is no manual for this thing. // 10

Sound: I'm using it with an Ibanez ICT700, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q, Morley Little Alligator, then Peavey Valveking 212. It's not noisy at all. The effects on this little box are never weak (unless you want them to be), because this thing is versatile. I bought this pedal actually to play the Fade to Black intro solo, and it worked great. I have also used it for just playing all the time or the intro to King Nothing (which I didn't think was a C/F pedal). // 10

Reliability & Durability: The battery power on this thing seems quite short even when using some very good batteries (I don't have an AC adapter yet) but I think I would depend on it as it has not broken yet. You should never use anything at a gig without a backup, but if it came to where I couldn't have a backup, then yes, I would. // 8

Overall Impression: I play hard rock, thrash metal and any sub genre of those really and this is a very good match. I've been playing a year and I have an Ibanez ICT700, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q, Morley Little Alligator, then Peavey Valveking 212. I don't wish I had asked anything, I just wanted a low price C/F pedal that was good and I found it. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again. I don't wish it had anything, It's pretty much decked out with controls right now. // 10

CF7 Chorus/Flanger Reviewed by: rotted_strings, on september 23, 2008

Purchased from: Sound Shoppe

Ease of Use: This pedal is the master exploder! you can use it with any sound, from Nirvana to Heart to Judas Priest. The controls are excellent and the "normal" and "wack'd" setting woll give you any tone from simple chorus or flange to ring modulation. this is the best and easiest to use chorus or flanger on the market. // 10

Sound: From sizzling high to gut bustin lows, this pedal can do it. The speed and depth keep YOUR sound not the manufacturer's. I used it Live through my ESP LTD F-200 and a Crate GT 2-12 and it boosted the output of the over all rig. You can hit Barracuda with little to no changes to the controls. If you use multiple effects (additional Chorus and Flangers) with amp feedback you can do allot of kewl sound effect. I even got a police siren out of it! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've taken it on the road and use a 1spot AC Adaptor with my chain and it performed well for me stomping the Jesus out of it. The body will hold a lot of pressure. This is my rock of ages for Nirvana and Heart covers. I have had this pedal for at least two years and it has never failed me once. I use ots dual outputs (1 mono, 1 stereo) to make a truely stereo rig and it it doesn't distort at high or low volumes, tones, or octaves. // 10

Overall Impression: I play hard Rock-Grunge and this single pedal it the only chorus or flanger that I will use. My Rythem guitarist uses a Boss BF-3 and an Electro-Harmonix Small Clone and I can easily beat him to the settings and tones. If it were stolen I would find the guy, torture him/her, make him buy me another, and still use the old one too! // 10

Comments