CP9 Compressor/Limister review by Ibanez

Ibanez: CP9 Compressor/Limister

Purchased from: Ebay

I'm using a model 3 Charvel neck through 2 pickup active bass (which sounds fantastic in the first place) into 3 Ibanez Soundwave 35's. For a compressor it is very quiet compared to all the others I have tried. But as with any type of signal booster some line noise is always added too. As for the quality of the effect & sound it's the best I've found since I bought one new in '82. Then got ripped off at a gig 10 years ago. I then got a Boss, DOD, DigiTech, Behringer, and a couple others I can't even remember over the last 10 years. I needed to get another CP9. After getting one on Ebay & plugging in the first time (and tweaking the knobs a bit) it was like a rainy day when all of a sudden the it clears up and the sun comes out. The attack & threshold really do something on this pedal, which on most of the other ones didn't do much to change the effect. The level control can also give you up to a 12 db boost too. It gives a subtle midrange clarity, and evens out every note that ring longer. It was worth every penny!

Right now I'm playing classic rock '65-'80 mostly. But have player punk, heavy metal, country & even did that wedding band thing for a bit in the last 30 years. Like I told you earlier it was stolen & I did replace it. I like everything about it but the price I had to pay twice.

This thing is built out of 1/8" thick metal with a thick rubber foot. An easy access battery cover on the bottom or 9 volt adapter plug. From my understanding this 9 series was made in Japan, not Tiawan or Korea like a lot of cheap pedal. Also hand wired on thick circuit boards. Very solid & reliable.

This older Ibanez 9 series (1981-84) Compressor/Limiter has an attack, threshold & level controls. The pedal can give you some great sustain. Really even out all the whole sound of your guitar. I use it for bass though. So every note is the same volume. Or with a little knob movement almost get a swell effect where the note starts off soft and gets louder. I don't have the manual.

santhony1987
    MESAexplorer
    santhony1987 wrote: Sounds good. I need me a decent comp but can't bring myself to get one in pedal form. Seems a bit of a waste.
    Actually a compressor can be one of the most useful pedals in your arsenal. If you're getting one in a rackmount setup though, i can understand why you woudn't want a pedal.