DE7 Delay/Echo Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 01/21/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Ibanez: DE7 Delay/Echo
Delivers both high-tech or vintage tape echo sounds (switch selectable). Capable of 30 ms. to 2.6 seconds of delay time. Time, repeat, level, and a Range Switch allow for quick, precise control.
 Ease of Use: 9
 9.2
 9.1
 9.3
 13,737
reviews (7) 13 comments vote for this gear:
DE7 Delay/Echo Reviewed by: Kill em all89, on january 15, 2004

Purchased from: Easy Music Center

Ease of Use: It's pretty east to get the sound of it just doodle around with the knobs on the pedal. The manual gives you some samples. This pedal can be pretty freaky, you can make some satanic alien sounds. // 8

Sound: I have a epiphone S-310 and I have a Vox Pathfinder 10. It can be noisy on if you put it on endless feedback which is a setting. Everything sounds good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a good pedal. Well, I could use it with another pedal like a distortion pedal buts it's a good pedal. Never broke down on me yet. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal, classic rock and it's a pretty good match, it has a setting 70s echo makes a funky sound, then there's the garage sound like Grunge. If it was lost or stolen I would buy another one their cheap and they're good. What I like about it is its sound and features. Get it now!!! // 10

DE7 Delay/Echo Reviewed by: michal23, on march 02, 2009

Ease of Use: This is pedal is really easy to use, after a minute of messing around with the knobs, it's pretty easy to figure out which knob does what. Once you have your favourite setting, you can also push the knobs in so that the settings can't be accidentally changed, which is kind of cool. The manual isn't useless, but you'll get along absolutely fine without it. There is a little Switch that allows you to choose between a digital sounding delay (I hate it), and an echo that's designed to emulate the analogue delay of pedals such as the MXR Carbon Copy. // 10

Sound: I'm using this in the effects loop with a Fender Jazzmaster and a Peavey Valveking. The pedal isn't really that noisy at all. The 'delay' mode on the pedal sounds digital, fake and generally awful, I really don't recommend using that. The 'echo' mode, on the other hand, is much better. It's still digital, but it's designed to replicate analogue delay, and for this price, you really don't get much better. I play mostly prog rock and metal, and this is perfect. The only real problem I have with the pedal is that at low volumes, you have to keep the delay level quite low, but that's hardly problematic. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is made of metal, and it's solid. I've dropped it (accidentally, of course) numerous times, and it has never damaged it. I haven't had any problems at all, to be honest, and I'd happily gig without a backup. However, if you're gonna get this, get a power supply: this pedal can use up a single 9 volt in the space of a few hourse. // 8

Overall Impression: As I've mentioned, I mainly play prog rock and metal, and this pedal works very well for me, especially considering the price. I've been playing for around 6 years, and this is my first delay pedal, but I've tried others before. If this were stolen or lost, I'd probably save up for an MXR Carbon Copy or a Boss DD of some sort, but if you're on a budget, then this pedal is the best way forward. The only thing that this pedal lacks is a truly analogue sound - if it had it, then it'd be unbeatable. // 8

DE7 Delay/Echo Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 31, 2004

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use, to my surprise when I was messing around with it, you can make Whammy like effects along with delay. This little box has a huge range of delays, the only one missing is reverse delay which would have been kool. // 10

Sound: This has great sound, I get not feedback what so ever from it, no noise, just great delay and echo. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a little tank, my only complaint is this thing sucks up batteries like nobodies buisness. It can be a real pain change battery after battery. The only backup you will need with this pedal is ann extra battery. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great pedal, I play a wide rang of styles from metal, to jazz, to classic rock to just sitting around seeing what kind of noise I can get out of my pedals. I've been playing for 4 years now and this is on of the top pedals if played. Other than the issue of constantly changing batteries, this is a great pedal to own. // 10

DE7 Delay/Echo Reviewed by: kyle_katarn3, on december 28, 2005

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Ease of Use: This is the Ibanez Delay/Echo 7 from the Tone-Lok series. This is the newest model, the DE-7 C. It's bright pink, which takes a little getting used to. Overall, this pedal is fairly easy to use. It has 3 knobs and two switches. The switches control the Range of the delay as well as the mode of the pedal (echo or delay). The three knobs regulate the delay time, the rate of repetition and the level of the delay (volume). Fairly straightforward, and it really takes no time at all to find the sound you want. (It took me about a minute to get the right level for the intro to "Beautiful Day." It comes with a manual, which is good if you are unsure of what each knob or switch does. It includes 5 or so sample settings as well, though I find half the fun is in experementing to find your own sound. // 9

Sound: I'm using this effect with an Ibanez GAX 30, an Traynor 15w Guitar Mate and a DS-1. Not the greatest setup, but it works for me. The pedal is pretty silent, the only time if run into problems is when I've cranked the repeat up all the way, and after a couple of minutes you start to hear feedback. The effect sounds very classic, not digital at all, which is very important for me. I'm really aiming to get a U2 kinda sound from it, which is very easy to do. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's an Ibanez Tone-Lok, which basically means solid metal. The thing is durable beyond belief. The tone-lok knobs are a nice addition, as I do occasionally kick the pedal, and its nice to know I dont have to worry about wrecking my settings. I would gig without a backup, though make sure you buy an adapter, it murders batteries a mile a minute. // 9

Overall Impression: This pedal is a perfect match to my style of music. I really am into the U2 style of delay, and this delivers. I compared it with the delay on a Zoom 505 and a Boss DD-3. I was unimpressed by the Zoom, and I couldn't see why the Boss was 30 dollars more, so I got the Ibanez. I don't regret it. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely get it again, unless I had the money to get a memory man delay. // 9

DE7 Delay/Echo Reviewed by: Dio773 & D4ve, on july 27, 2006

Purchased from: Music Depot

Ease of Use: It is very easy to get good sound out of the Delay, the Echo is a little harder so use because it doesn't fade out as it repeats. I didn't get a manual with the Delay but the pedal is very easy to use and understand. // 8

Sound: I use my Avenger or Cruiser with it, usually on bridge or neck pickup settings with my Peavey KB 300 Bass Amp. The Echo usually a little loud and uncontrollable sometimes if you don't know how to use it, but all you have to do it experiment with it a bit. It usually sounds great unless you turn the milliseconds down low. I can usually get good sound out of it like Steve Vai or Van Halen. It's hard to mix it with distortion, but you can usually put a phaser, a volume pedal or a pitch pedal and it sounds great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is a very dependable pedal; all you really need are backup batteries. It doesn't break easily, but it can damage it if you get sand or mud in it. Your settings won't change if you accidentally step on it while turning it on because they are pushed back into the pedal and to bring them out you push them down, they will come out so you can turn them. This pedal has never let me down. // 10

Overall Impression: It is a good match with a lot of music, but if you want a more heavy metal, grunge or something with a lot of distortion Delay isn't that great with distortion. I have been playing for about three years and I have a DigiTech Grunge, a Crybaby Wah, and an RP-50. There is nothing I need to ask about this pedal. If it were stolen I would buy another, but I hate that the Echo is a little hard to controll, and it sort of sucks the battery power quickly. // 8

DE7 Delay/Echo Reviewed by: veric, on may 31, 2007

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: Easiest delay pedal I've ever touched. I tried messing around with a couple Boss and DigiTech dealy pedals and got really confused. The Ibanez is completely straight forward. One knob for length, one for repeats, and one for feedback. One mini switch for delay / echo and another for delay playback time. None of that knob within a knob stuff. // 10

Sound: I'm using this with my Ibanezes (both RG470L) and my Warlock. I just stuck it at the end of my external effect loop and haven't looked back. I get the exact sound I'm looking for with this pedal, though my guess is that if you really wanted absolute control over every step of the delay, this pedal would be a little lacking, but if you're looking for something that can handle a dirty signal, look no further. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I bought mine used. The case is exteremely durable. The only thing I could see that would kill this pedal would be if beer got spilt on it at a show. I try to avoid buying "plastic" pedals that can crack / break easily, and this one is no different; it is extremely reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal / prog stuff and this pedal is perfect for me. If I want a constant repeat, I can get that, if I want just a ghost sound behind a solo, it can do that as well. I play through a Boss metalzone, Original Crybaby wah, mxr flanger and mxr phaser and a Crate GT1200H. I would definatly replace this pedal if anything happened to it. // 10

DE7 Delay/Echo Reviewed by: Tyler.Allain, on january 21, 2011

Ease of Use: This delay pedal is very easy to use and achieve a satisfactory sound from. Shines best in the FX loop of an amplifier in my findings. Simply choose the level of delay, then the delay time, and finally decide on how many repetitions you wish for. This isn't a loop station, so don't expect to use this thing to have a ridiculous amount of delay time, but if you are looking for a light-moderate amount of delay to use in a solo tone or to play around with this can come close to matching more expensive pedals of similar type/delay time. My only problem is that it's not super easy to dial in to that perfect spot. I think the controls aren't precise enough. Sometimes it's an issue sometimes it's not. I give it an 8. // 8

Sound: I use this delay pedal in the FX loop of a Valveking 212. Most of the guitars I use have high output humbucking pickups in them. The pedal isn't noisy at all. I can't hear any additional audible noise when this pedal is engaged or being bypassed in my loop. The effect sounds great. The tone of my guitar is carried right through the pedal and the repetitions I hear are a reflection of my guitar's true tone. You could even get away with using this thing as a Chorus pedal almost to thicken your guitar tone if you set the delay level and timing right. Great pedal. Sounds excellent. Perfect score here. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Solid construction. I never have backup pedals as I don't think its necessary if you take care of them. So yes, I would gig with this without a backup, and the tone-lok series feature of being able to push in those knobs preventing your setting from being altered during transport is great. Perfect 10 in terms of durability and reliability. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great delay pedal. If you are looking for a solid, great sounding, moderately priced pedal Pick this up. I've been playing guitar for around 8 years and in that time frame I have owned and played many guitars, amps, and used a ton of effects. If this were lost or stolen I probably wouldn't buy one as I have another delay pedal and even though it's fun to play with I only use a dab of it in my lead tone so it isn't super important. I love that my tone isn't sucked out of the thing. // 9

Comments