DL10 Digital Delay review by Ibanez

Ibanez: DL10 Digital Delay

Price paid: € 34

Purchased from: Ebay

I'm currently using this pedal in the effects loop of my HT-5 with a new Fender Marauder going into a Little Big Muff ---> Amp and Small Clone -> DL10 -> Digiverb -> Cool Cat trem -> Headrush in the FX Loop. It produces literally no extra noise even with all the other pedals engaged (except the Big Muff which sounds like a starting Jet on some settings) and it feels like a true bypass pedal even though it's a buffered one Still building up my board at the moment so there are a few new pedals to come soon, but overall I think that the DL10 does a really really good job. It is a digital Delay, but one of the earliest built (late 80ies) and thus feels warmer and a little less "perfect" than some other pedals on the market nowadays) It doesn't have all the options like a DD20 or a DMM, so if you wanna get more advanced with delays it might be a little limiting, but as a second delay for post rock (which I mostly use it for) or stand alone for some Tool sounds ("Lateralus") it's perfectly suitable, It's a basic delay but as far as I know that's enough to play about 98% of Rock History. I almost forgot, It also has a Dry Out, I guess for plugging into a second Amp, however I once accidentally plugged a cable in it which was going nowhere and you could only hear the delays, not the dry signal. I never used it again since but it seems like a cool option for some new sound creations, I will totally keep that in mind!

I play post rock, sludge, stoner, alt rock, progressive rock/metal, some hardcore / post-hardcore but also 60ies/70ies rock. Except for post-rock I never needed anything fancier than this little stompbox here. I've been playing for about 8 years and I'm not a technical player, more of a groove/rhythm player and definitely not a cork sniffing tone snob, but I can tell you, you can't go wrong with this pedal: made in Japan, no extra noise and tweakable.

It's in a metal casing and seems really sturdy, the only thing made out of plastic is the footswitch, but I don't really think of that as an issue, the pots all work greatly, and there is no scratching or popping when you turn them, pretty rad for a 25 year old pedal.I didn't have any bad experience, it always worked fine for about 2 months and a LOT of playing even though I tweaked it quite a bit. So as long as you don't abuse it too badly and take a little care of this pedal you should be able to play a lot of gigs with it!

3 Knobs: Delay time, Rate / Feedback and Level ---> Really easy to use, you can just find your suitable settings in a few seconds, I don't think there is anything more to say to it. The footswitch is really easy to tap aswell. There is one thing to do even for people who don't know anything about electrical engineering (like me). You can tweak the pedal for a longer delay time (some people on The Internet claimed to have got almost 2 seconds of delay time out of this thing! You can also "mod" it for self oscicallation which is really cool for such a cheaply available pedal! To do that you just have to unscrew the bottom plate and the circuit board under it, take the pots of by just pulling on them gently and tweak the trimpots on the second smaller board with a little screwdriver, however I would mark the factory settings first because you never know... It's hard to describe without pictures but I think you'll find some of the boards when you google it.