DS7 Distortion review by Ibanez

Ibanez: DS7 Distortion

Purchased from: Rajen Music

I'm running my DS7 through a Fender FM65R on a Squier Fat Strat. And the sound is simply amazing. There is a little bit of hiss/buzz when the gain is on a higher setting but it disappears as soon as you start playing and you can just switch to clean to eliminate this noise when you're not playing. It's a good idea to keep the tone setting pretty high or else your sound will get a bit muddy, but providing you keep it above 5 or 6, you will always have a nice tight sound. As I think has been said about the DS7 I don't know of any artists who use the DS7 so this is definately the pedal to get if you want to create your own individual sound. And it's easy to do, I have a few friends who use a DS7 and not one of us has a sound that's similar, very versatile pedal especially considering the limited controls. I run my DS7 through my amp with the mid contour control on, this creates the scoop eq setting that most modern rock players use, but it sounds awesome even without this. But to get that really tight crunch, an eq pedal could be an idea if you prefer your mids a bit lower.

I play in a band that plays a combination of punk/emo/metal sounds. And the DS7 handles all of those sounds as well as being able to tailor a sound that works for all of them at once live. I also have a Zoom 606 multi effects, but the distortion sound from the DS7 blows the Zoom away no problems. I've been playing guitar for 7 years and I've tried out the Boss DS-1 and even the mighty Ibanez TS7, but prefer the DS7 purely for it's versatility, from just a little bit of bluesy Overdrive to a full on metal crunch, it does it all and then some. If my DS7 was lost or stolen, I'd get a new one without even thinking about it, mainly because it's this pedal that gives me my own characteristic distortion sound, and I doubt any other pedal would give the same sound. The best features of the DS7 are it's ease of use and versatility, and it's unbreakable construction, it will stand up to life on the road no worries and that just what you need. For the more advanced player it would be handy to have more eq control, but as I've said, you can fix that on most amps.

This thing is built like a brick shithouse. It'll take anything your boot can dish out and then some, I've had the thing for 4 years and it's seen some pretty rough gigs courtesy of my liking for combat boots. The construction is solid metal and there is nothing fragile or flimsy about this little tank of a pedal. Rubber base prevents sliding on stage when you give it a nice big stomp but you don't need to try and crush the pedal to switch the juice on. I not only would use this without a back up, I do use it without a back up. All I can reccomend is to keep a spare battery on hand if you're not using the AC adapter. But that's not too bad considering it just takes 9v.

This was the first pedal I ever got, and at the time I was a total beginner when it came to tailoring my own personal sound. But even at that time 4 years ago, I could still milk very nice crunchy sound out of this nice little stomp box. The simplicity comes from the fact that you're given only what you need to work with. More experienced players might want to invest in an EQ pedal but if your amp has an EQ then you can tweak what you want there. All in all it's almost painfully simple to just plug in, dial up a sound, lock the knobs give the thing a kick and start cranking out riffs.