DS7 Distortion review by Ibanez

Ibanez: DS7 Distortion

I run the DS7 mainly between a Yamaha strat and two small amps (a 33 watt guitar and 40 watt bass amp). There is an obvious drop in bass when activated, but it doesn't affect my setup much. So far, I haven't had to set the level of the effect past 2 to get amazing punch tones, but in the higher levels it gets very noisy (and causes ear bleeding feedback in the time between notes). The distortion and tone knobs are very sensitive, but in a great way. With the tone at 5, you can get the dry crunch of Adam Jones, and easily replicate Josh Homme's sound at 7. The distortion setting can create sounds spanning from classic rock to Death Metal as well.

I play every genre from metal to jazz, and this pedal worked amazingly for me. I've compared it with the Boss DS-1 of the same price, and this simply sings past it in capabilities. If it were stolen, I'd hunt down whoever stole it and beat them to death with their own arm, or just buy another. The only thing I wish it had was EQ settings. If you're on a budget, though, this is the pedal to get.

This pedal is built strong. I don't stomp the pedals like some so, but I'm willing to say it could stand up to it, especially with the tone-lock knob design. I'm not sure how long it'd last without fresh batteries, though, since I use a power supply. I'd definitely trust it on a gig.

The DS7 is fairly simple to get used to, yet has dozens of different distortion sounds for each adjustment. The manual for it does give some idea of how to operate it, and there are some preset ideas, but it's just as easy to test around and see what settings you like.

urkittenpoo
    mine worked really well and then all of a sudden it started sounding like crap... i dont know what happend, it just sounds like the treble and mids got tweeked to 100000 and the bass got stuck at -59