FL9 Flanger Review

review (1) pictures (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
FL9 Flanger Reviewed by: Poison_The_Joel, on july 07, 2010

Price paid: A$ 169

Purchased from: Music Swap Shop

Ease of Use: I must say that this pedal sounds great when you actually know what you're doing with it. It is not a real plug in and play type of pedal. It has four knobs, Speed, Regen, Width and Delay time, all of which have a specific roll to play in shaping the sound you want. The manual is worthless as it doesn't offer any sample settings or even an explanation as to what knobs do what. If you don't want to experiment and tweak then this pedal is not for you, but if your like myself and love turning knobs and finding the limits of a pedals sonic capabilities this pedal is for you. // 7

Sound: I run a Epiphone 1969 Les Paul Gold Top through a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier (1996 model dual channel model) and this thing sounds awesome once you step on it. It's extremely quiet, doesen't colour your tone and doesn't sound like some crappy computerised flange sound you would get through a Boss pedal or a multi fx unit. The sound is organic and would compliment any set you have be it a tube amp or a solid state. Playing through the clean channel on my amp with the neck pickup on and my delay pedal on with it screams the ambient sounds of Tool and Incubus. With my Overdrive channel selected the overtones jumped right out and punched me in the face (it's a shame this pedal is not stereo because this thing would be perfect if it were). With the speed knob at 12 o'clock, the width knob at 1 o'clock the delay at 3 o'clock and the Regen knob at 1 o'clock this thing took me back to the awesome Overdrive flange tone of Van Halen. I can't praise this pedal enough, you really just need to try it for yourself. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is built like a tank, so getting it knocked around a bit on stage is the least of my worries (tripping over my leads on the other hand is an entirely different matter). The actual foot-switch is sturdy and quite easy to turn on and off. I would definitely use this pedal without a back up and I do. The only thing that is a must is a Voodoo Lab pedal power to keep her juiced 24-7. // 9

Overall Impression: If you have a need for flange in your sound then deffinately try this pedal. It's versatile enough to double as a chorus so it sounds amazing through an amps clean channel (especially with a little delay and reverb), it can also give you that "classic jet plane woosh" that yuou come to expect from a flanger. I compared this pedal with a Boss BF-3, and an electric mistress flanger and I ended up choosing this one because its so good at what it does. I must admit that the Electric Mistress was pretty damn close but the price difference closed the deal for me. Do yourself a favor and indulge in the creamy, spacious and sexy tone that this pedal can offer you. You will be glad you did. // 9

Comments