FZ7 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: FZ7

Purchased from: pawn shop

I'm using a Fender Stratocaster with a Carvin X-100B stack. It really helps to put this pedal in your amp's effects loop so you can control how much fuzz you get. Putting it in the input signal chain can get kind of messy. It's a fuzz pedal, with all the pros and cons of fuzz pedals. If you've ever owned a fuzz pedal, then you know what to expect. It is very noisy on the high settings. If the drive knob is turned up too high it gives tons of feedback (which is good) but compresses the tone into sludge (which is bad). That said, when you fine-tune it for just the right sound, it works wonderfully. It sounds sort of similar to a '60s Mosrite Fuzz pedal on steroids, only more modern. It's kind of limited as far as the versatility. It seems to be only capable of one particular fuzz sound, and the knobs only work to modulate this sound's tone. The "Damage" Switch is the most important. It makes it so that the fuzz can go from acid rock like Iron Butterfly to grungy noise like Mudhoney. All in all, if you spend a lot of time listening to old garage rock/psychedelia records this is a pretty decent pedal if you don't want to shell out $200 for a boutique fuzz, but otherwise don't bother. For what I would use it for, it gets an '8', but for what others might want from it, I'd put it more at a '5'.

I play lots of garage rock, as you can guess, this is great for that. I've been playing for roughly 15 years. I own three other 7 series pedals: two TS7s and the CF-7. I also own two other fuzz pedals: A Tycobrahe Fuzz/Octavia clone and an Arbiter Fuzzface clone. This has an advantage over my boutique fuzz pedals though: it's durable, easily replaceable and very well designed (the Tone-Lock knobs are a huge bonus). If this were stolen I would probably buy another, because I'm using it to record with. Live I wouldn't really use it because I try to keep the setup simple.

Ibanez's 7 series pedals are all really good. I own three of them and I'm pretty sure they'll still be working ten years from now. They're metal boxes that can withstand being dropped and slammed. My first Ibanez TS7 (which I bought new) has withstood every kind of damage you can imagine, a van wreck, dropping off my pedal board, etc. etc. and it still works perfectly.

It's pretty easy to use, just turn the knobs. Why would you use an instruction manual for a guitar pedal? It takes the fun out of experimenting! Not that you would need it for this one anyway. The three knobs on it are pretty obvious as to what they mean and the "damage" switch is pretty easy to figure out too.

JereGuitar
    You want fuzz? Well that's exactly what you get! The broken speaker effect makes things interesting. Put this thing before a phaser and it'll sound like someone is swinging an old cathode ray tv around your head while its on an fizzy channel. Great for white noise to fill your guitar sound, great for experimentation! And it's cheap, pick it up!!!