FZ7 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 01/05/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Ibanez: FZ7
With the FZ7's tone, drive, and level controls, it's never been easier to get the right retro tones.
 Ease of Use: 10
 7.4
 8.4
 6.3
 3,052
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
FZ7 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2007

Purchased from: pawn shop

Ease of Use: It's pretty easy to use, just turn the knobs. Why would you use an instruction manual for a guitar pedal? It takes the fun out of experimenting! Not that you would need it for this one anyway. The three knobs on it are pretty obvious as to what they mean and the "damage" switch is pretty easy to figure out too. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Fender Stratocaster with a Carvin X-100B stack. It really helps to put this pedal in your amp's effects loop so you can control how much fuzz you get. Putting it in the input signal chain can get kind of messy. It's a fuzz pedal, with all the pros and cons of fuzz pedals. If you've ever owned a fuzz pedal, then you know what to expect. It is very noisy on the high settings. If the drive knob is turned up too high it gives tons of feedback (which is good) but compresses the tone into sludge (which is bad). That said, when you fine-tune it for just the right sound, it works wonderfully. It sounds sort of similar to a '60s Mosrite Fuzz pedal on steroids, only more modern. It's kind of limited as far as the versatility. It seems to be only capable of one particular fuzz sound, and the knobs only work to modulate this sound's tone. The "Damage" Switch is the most important. It makes it so that the fuzz can go from acid rock like Iron Butterfly to grungy noise like Mudhoney. All in all, if you spend a lot of time listening to old garage rock/psychedelia records this is a pretty decent pedal if you don't want to shell out $200 for a boutique fuzz, but otherwise don't bother. For what I would use it for, it gets an '8', but for what others might want from it, I'd put it more at a '5'. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Ibanez's 7 series pedals are all really good. I own three of them and I'm pretty sure they'll still be working ten years from now. They're metal boxes that can withstand being dropped and slammed. My first Ibanez TS7 (which I bought new) has withstood every kind of damage you can imagine, a van wreck, dropping off my pedal board, etc. etc. and it still works perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of garage rock, as you can guess, this is great for that. I've been playing for roughly 15 years. I own three other 7 series pedals: two TS7s and the CF-7. I also own two other fuzz pedals: A Tycobrahe Fuzz/Octavia clone and an Arbiter Fuzzface clone. This has an advantage over my boutique fuzz pedals though: it's durable, easily replaceable and very well designed (the Tone-Lock knobs are a huge bonus). If this were stolen I would probably buy another, because I'm using it to record with. Live I wouldn't really use it because I try to keep the setup simple. // 7

FZ7 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2004

Purchased from: Music123.com

Ease of Use: This is very easy to use look at the settings the instructions suggest and then start playing. // 10

Sound: I got this pedal with an Ibanez start up kit that came with a GAX 50 and the 10 watt Ibanez amp. The pedal sounds better if you play it on the clean channel, if you play it with Overdrive there is too much crackling. This pedal I think is the pedal used in the song Hear To Stay by Korn. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a very durable pedal you can stomp all you want and as hard as you want but I would not suggest using this pedal at a gig unless you have and ac adapter because this pedal sucks 9 volt batteries like crazy, and when the battery is low the sound will go in and out. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for a little over a year, and I usually play heavy metal, classic rock, and modern rock. This is a good pedal for very few songs, like I said Here to Stay by Korn would be a good use for this pedal. If it were stolen I wouldnt buy unless I needed it for a certain song (since it came free with my Jumpstart package. There isn't anything I love about it or hate about it, it's just kind of sitting in my gig bag until I use it for Here To Stay. // 6

Comments