PH5 Phaser review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 3 Poor
Ibanez: PH5 Phaser

Purchased from: Big Deal Music

I have used this pedal with a Squier Stratocaster and an Ibanez RG8320 through a Peavey studio pro 112 transtube and a Laney TF300. The pedal is noisy on all settings and sucks tone when it is turned off. The effects are weak and you can't turn them up which is a feature I would like on this pedal, to increase the effect and make it stronger. I have not been able to replicate any artist's sound on this pedal, nor can i think of any artists that use this pedal. The pedal has one effect (Phaser) which is not very good.

I play a variety of music genres including: Metal, rock, blues and jazz. This pedal is not a good match as I have never found a use for it. I have been playing for 5 years and My other pedals include: Boss MT-2, Korg AX10G and a Cry baby wah pedal. I bought this pedal before I knew anything about pedals and before I knew what a good tone sounded like. If this pedal was stolen or lost, I would be more glad than upset and I defiantly would not consider buying another one. I did not compare it with other products because at the time I was a beginner and didn't think to do something so smart. I wish it had controls to manipulate the sound of the pedal and the strength of the effect. This would improve the pedal because it could be made to sound fairly decent. My advice to anyone reading this and thinking about buy this pedal: shop around a bit more as there are better sounding phaser pedals out there!

I can't depend on this pedal as it is made of plastic and seems like it could break if it was stood on. I would not use this pedal at a gig without a backup because as said before it is made of plastic and doesn't seem like it could take a lot of abuse. The pedal is not durable at all. For example, A few months ago when i was playing guitar in my room, i pressed the pedal lightly. Only to have my foot slip off the top of the pedal and break the depth dial. I was not being rough with it, it was a only a slight bump and it broke!

The sound of this pedal all depends on your gear, because there aren't any controls to adjust tone. The controls on this pedal are: speed, depth and feedback. So to get a good sound you have to adjust the amp's tone. I'm not 100% satisfied with this pedal's sound because no matter what settings I use on my amp i can't make it sound nice. I would say it is not very easy to get a good sound out of it. I can make the phaser built into my Korg AX10G sound nice with my amp. Which leads me to believe the overall sound of the pedal isn't too good. I didn't get a manual for it as i bought it second hand, but after getting one off the Internet it seems to be a decent manual, It explains everything in full detail and is quite useful to refer back to if you need to know something.

facelesspsyco13
    I call B.S., so what if there what you call "Weak", it sounds great people have to figure out that You don't need a phaser turned all the way to get a great sound.