SM7 Smash Box review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SM7 Smash Box

Purchased from: Griffin Guitar Centre

I use and Epiphone les Paul with a Marshall 80w Valvestate, the only other effect I use is a Crybaby wah pedal. I wouldn't recommend using the "sharp" effect when playing loud, you get an extremely uncomfortable squealing sounds, I replace my 3 leads once a month, its either the pedal or my setup. Equalizers can be tricky, I always use 8-10(max) bass and fiddle around with the treble until it sounds right.

I play mostly Metallica, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Slayer, Venom, Motorhead and Sabbath. You can get all these sounds on the smooth setting with drive half way up. I've been playing 4 years this summer, I own an Ibanez Flanger/Chorus (Tonelock, same range as the Smash Box) and Crybaby wah pedal. If this pedal was stolen, I wouldn't buy it again, I think I would go for a Boss Metal Zone, as I played this after I bought the Smash Box and enjoy its range alot more. My favourite feature of this pedal I htink has to be the fact you can get so many ranges of sounds, AC/DC, not too heavy stuff, quite treble, then crank the drive and the bass equalizers up and youve got Cowboys From Hell! I just wish it wouldnt drain the battery so quick, I've even started diconnecting the battery altogether when not using it! My overall impression: try out different pedals first, I never played this before I bought it because it was a gift, I would recommend this, or the Boss Metal Zone, the only other pedal I can compare this to is The Black Paisley Liquid Metal Pedal.

This pedal is built like a brick, pure metal, literally. I've dropped this down my stairs while carrying my guitar and amp at least twice, solid as a rock it is. I dont gig much as I only have half a band, but if I did, I wouldn't take a backup, just bring some batteries as it drains easily!

Great pedal, great sound. Very easy to use, although can be a bit difficult to tweak it to your perfect sound. It has, drive knob, lo and hi equalizer knobs to get treble/bass sounds and ba; ance the whole thing out, and a level/volume knob. There are also two switches, a void control, which cuts out all the backround noise, and also increases the palm muting technique, great for Pantera/Metallica/Slayer etc etc. There is also a smooth/sharp switch, pretty self explanatory. Sharp is a grinding, driving distortion good for a lead solo that you want to make stand out, only problem is you have to kneel down mid-song a switch it from the smooth. The smooth is the setting I use mostly, I do not use the voids as they take too long to cut out the noise.