SM7 Smash Box review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SM7 Smash Box

Purchased from: Ted Herbert's

This pedal is aka the Smash Box, it's going to be noisey. The best part of the pedal is they're built to take damage and not only take it but they look a lot classier when the have some battle wounds. You can manipulate it to sound like another artist pedal, it's not that hard. The real trick about doing that though (my opinion) it's the high and low gain that determines the ultime sound. Depending how you set that it won't matter how much dist. you use. This pedal sounds good with exp. pedals like the Cry Baby and a High Gain pedal. And even better with chorus or flange. I recommomend not using a comparing dist. with it. Makes it sound muddy and crappy.

I play heavy metal and hard rock and powerpop. I've lost count of how long I've been playing. I own mainly Ibanez stuff. I am still in hope of getting endorsed by them someday. I compared them to DigiTech and Boss D-1. I chose this pedal cause it really had a better sound that I liked cause it reminded me of Megadeth and Disturbed. I love that it's got a noise gate. I don't hate it a bit. My fav. part about it is that they're built with the knobs that get pushed in to prevent them from getting the settings screwed up.

I play Tone loks in specific because they're built like tanks and they have push knobs that make it so you don't have to worry about the settings getting changed. I use them without backups anytime. I actually made a second one for leizure. I have pedal board A and Pedal Board BA is used for performances B is used for recording and just incase (I lose stuff constantly).

This pedal is one of the simple complex distortions. It's the best of both worlds for a great price. I found it simply because I was in need of a pedal because I do a lot of switching in my music. This one has dist. type (smooth and sharp) and an easy to understand EQ. The drive and level aren't that hard to understand and the simple complexity of it is the built in noise gate. When I daisy chain I go from left to right cold to hot. I have my SM7 on the farthest right. The manual is in my exp. with this pedal held back by guide lines of other artist sound. I set it up to my own sign. sound this is my setting: Dist - 41/2, Hi - 7, Lo - 51/2, Lvl - level depeneds on the venue I play and the volume setting I have on the amplifier.