SM7 Smash Box review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Ibanez: SM7 Smash Box

Purchased from: Gear Music

I use it with a crappy 10 Watt Marshall MG amp (saving up for a B-52) and a Dean FBD Lefty. It is only noisy when the noisegate is off, when the noisegate is on, I find this pedal very quiet and with no feedback. One problem is that if the sound I make on my guitar is too quiet or in general a sound that the pedal doesnt't like, it cuts it out. It's not a huge problem, in fact it's barely noticable. I can get a good pantera/metallica distortion out of it, but I go for a whole different distortion. It is one with the Lo and High turned up all the way, and the Edge on Sharp (basicaly mid cut and treble boost) and Drive up all the way. I personaly love this distortion.

I play prog/death/thrash/heavy/nu-metal and this pedal is awesome for it in my opinion. I have been playing for 2 years now and I owned an Ibanez fuzz pedal before this, and so far Ibanez pedals are great quality. I wish I'd have asked if the Switch worked better before I bought this. If it was stolen or lost I'd buy it Brand New, or buy a DigiTech metal master. I love the distortion that comes out of it because I have not heard anything like this on any Boss pedal. I compared it to a Marshall guvnor, a Danelectro distortion pedal, a Boss metalzone (which I think is crap), and a line six uber metal pedal (if they had this, it would have been a tough call between the SM7 and the Uber metal) and so far the SM7 beat them all. I wish it had a bit more of an EQ section I could tweak, and dual amp output like some DigiTech pedals have, but this is not a major want, just a matter of convenience really. All in all a great pedal.

I bought this used, so the problem is, is that sometimes when I step on it, it wont turn the distortion on/off. This is a problem with the switch that controls the pedal, and this problem generated before I bought the pedal. There was nothing I could do about this. I wouldn't gig with it for this reason, but if I could get one brand new, I'd gig with it.

I can get my perfect sound out of it, it is a very simple unit to use as well. 4 knobs. Drive, Lo, Hi, Level. A 3 way selector Switch for the noisegate levels, and a Switch that controls an "edge boost" (in other words treble). It didn't come with a manual because it was used.

AllOpenStrings
    ZeRaTuL HeLiOs : no metal distortion is better than the metal zone I completely disagree. The treble is way too in your face and there is no low end. If you want good pedals get electro-harmonix. Look into the metal muff. AMAZING metal potential for all types of face-melting metal. Dont go with boss' bullshit treble drives
    gmfa
    i use this pedal with my bc rich warlok and it sounds sexelent