ToneLok DE7 Delay/Echo Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 04/04/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Ibanez: ToneLok DE7 Delay/Echo
The Ibanez ToneLok DE7 Delay/Echo can provide just a touch of delay or echo, or can provide unreal delay with settings for anywhere between 30 milliseconds to 2600 milliseconds. The ToneLok feature lets you save your settings by depressing the knobs level with the surface of the pedal.
 Ease of Use: 8
 6.7
 6.3
 1,312
review (1) pictures (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
ToneLok DE7 Delay/Echo Reviewed by: UG Team, on april 04, 2011

Ease of Use: The Ibanez ToneLok DE7 is easy to use and you can dial in what you want fairly quickly. There are 3 knobs a delay time', repeat' and delay level'. There are two switches the range' switch and the mode' switch. There is an optional AC adaptor you can purchase for the ToneLok DE7. There is an in and 2 outs an out (mono) and a dry out. The 9 volt battery will be drained if you leave guitar cables hooked up to the pedal when not in use. The delay time knob gives you control over the amount of delay based off of the position of the range' switch. The repeat knob gives you control of how many times the delay repeats itself. The delay level gives you control of how strongly the delayed signal is mixed in. The range switch has 3 settings. The first setting is for 30 160 milliseconds. The second setting is for 120 650 milliseconds. The third setting is for 480 2600 milliseconds. The mode Switch has two settings echo and delay. Personally, I find the delay much more useful than the echo. This pedal was very easy to use. // 8

Sound: Primarily I got the Ibanez ToneLok DE7 for some Pink Floyd and Robin Trower type delay and it was very easy to get with this pedal. I played several different guitars and amps with this pedal. I played an Epiphone G400 Goth, Ibanez RG350EX, G&L Tribute Series S500, Ibanez Artcore AXD83P, and a Xaviere XV-599. I used a Blackheart Little Giant, Vox Pathfinder, Line 6 Spider III, and an Orange CR6S for amplification. I probably got the best sound with the G&L Tribute Series S500 going through the Blackheart Little Giant. There are better pedals if you are a true audiophile personally, delay pedals are the hardest for me to hear adverse effects to my tone with. This pedal meets my needs and doesn't damage my tone. The possibility the pedal provides for endlessly repeating long delays and echoes is very interesting for experimenting with and I find myself playing around with making crazy sounds with it every time I plug it in. If you get the echo just right and dampen the strings of your guitar, mess with the EQ just right you can get a good sound like someone running down an alleyway and their footfalls echoing off the walls. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The Ibanez ToneLok DE7 is made out of metal, not plastic. It has a rubber foot on the bottom that seems to do a great job of keeping it from sliding around when in use. The button is basically the whole bottom half of the pedal. The knobs depressing seem to really protect them for getting bumped and messing up your settings. The battery doesn't last as long as you might hope. There is a possibility of the battery starting to give out during a long practice or jam session (say if it runs more than a couple of hours). I think if you are running this pedal with the adaptor or powered on a pedal board you would be okay. I absolutely do not trust the battery life on this pedal. // 6

Overall Impression: I play everything from outlaw country to thrash metal and grunge. I primarily play overdriven type electric blues and thrash metal and this pedal seems to work very well for what I use it for. If I could justify spending much more for a delay pedal I would probably get something different - maybe an Electro-Harmonix Memory Man. For what the Ibanez ToneLok DE7 is, it absolutely meets my needs after getting the AC adaptor for it. The ToneLok DE7 is absolutely fun to play with because of all the long delays and never-ending echoes you can set up with it. // 7

- Brandon East (c) 2011