TS7 Tubescreamer review by Ibanez

Ibanez: TS7 Tubescreamer

Purchased from: Local Ripoff Music Store

I'm using mainly a Fender Jaguar through a PA I have. I have a JCM-900 but its in need of repair, and I just got the TS7 so I never tested them out together. The TS7 provides very good Overdrive, it can match the sound of a TS9 and a TS808 in quality and there's not a huge difference in sound. Actually the chip in the TS7 is very similar to the one in the TS808 and can be modded very easily, although I can't hear a huge difference. Its just a matter of changing the resistor I believe, its easy to find directions of how to do it online. Anyways, Killer sound, there's a Switch for "hot mode" which boosts the Drive up but can be quite noisy (TS9 mode isn't very noisy at all). This pedal is very good for all kinds of rock, blues, and for solos. Its not for metal riffing and such because its Overdrive, if you want heavy go with a DISTORTION pedal, I recommend the Boss MT-2 or the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde, or classic amp distortion.

I play mostly alt/experimental rock in vein of Minus the Bear, Muse, Radiohead, Sonic Youth, all that jazz, and I use a shitload of effects, and its perfect for what I need in Overdrive. Its very affordable, about $40 on musiciansfriend.com, I'm not quite sure why its so cheap, maybe because its Machine made, the plain silver metal casing isn't fancy and green with a Vintage footswitch like the TS9 or TS808, or just maybe because its not made with love. If it was lost or stolen I would definitely go out and buy another one, its not like it would break the bank. This isn't for metal riffing or Smashing Pumpkin-esque fuzz, it just does what its supposed to do, its just an Overdrive, albeit a very good one.

It seems very durable, it has metal casing, and its in the Tone-Lok series so all the buttons and be pressed into the pedal. I haven't gigged with it yet nor have I had it long so I 'm not positive how reliable it is but my buddy claims it is, so I'll give it a 7 for now.

Very easy to use, 3 knobs (Drive, Tone, Level), 1 Switch (for TS9 and Hot Mode), and a footpedal. A monkey could operate this, if only they could shr3d. Oh yeah, there's input, output, and power supply jacks. If for any reason you can't operate this pedal, get a CAT scan right away.

JonGuitar90
    I don't know how many people has said this already, but the metallica tone thing means that Metallica uses a lot of tube screamer to boost their amp's high gain tone. Mostly for the solos ofcourse but I heard that they sometimes use it for riffs too
    The.new.guy
    I love this pedal. I use it as a boost in front of my 6505+ and it screams metal. (Of course, the metal sound comes from the amp, the pedal just gives it more oompf) Only paid $40 for it, and it's worth at least $90 in my opinion.
    Way Cool JR.
    Man I bought one of these for my Crate V33h class a tube amp a couple months ago for some extra versatility in my rig and holy shit. People claim they wont do metal and also said my V33h cant do metal this bad boy turned my amp into a fuc*ng metal monster just amazing. I already had a Metal Muff with top boost great pedal by the way but I got it because people said I would need a distortion for metal an OD wouldn't cut it with my amp but they were wrong way wrong. I also use the TS-7 to boost the Muff and it just creates the most insane saturated distortion I have ever heard. I cant live with out my Muff it can create any metal tone I want and with the TS-7 on top i can get even more sounds than thought possible. It also works great on the clean channel for Blues jazz Classic rock and some 80's metal tones. I possibly would have never bought the Muff if I got this first because it is so good for what I want and has so much gain on tap + it has a hot switch that regular TS-9's don't have. In my whole opinion this pedal is far better than the regular TS-9 and 808 at a fraction of the price. It has the original TS-9 circuit with the proper JRC4558D op amp/chip and all, I love how Ibanez really thinks about the little guys to. Word to the wise don't get these modded they are better stock than the modded ones. The mods just add unwanted noise and the difference in sound beyond that is so slight that you would not notice unless you had them side by side so don't waste the money. And for the people that own the Crate V33's you don't have to waste your time with the SLO mod to make your amps gain channel kick ass all you need is this and it destroys the SLO mod hands down. Plus you wont ruin the great clean channel these amps have the SLO mod will ruin possibly one of the greatest clean channels ever on a tube amp. And no I am not a noob I have almost 30 years experience I just always relied on my amps gain with no need in an OD pedal till I got the V33.
    jas_656
    anyone who says that you can't play metal with a TS obviously hasn't tried using 1 to boost a tube amp
    penguinsarecool
    sad how people are disappointed when they find overdrive pedals can't get metal or hard rock tones, or be used for solos. It's an overdrive. You don't buy delay if you want reverb. you don't buy a tubescreamer for metal. Anyway, would anyone be kind enough to tell me whether I should go for this or the bad monkey? I just need it for some very mild overdrive, ala SRV. I just want that SRV/John Mayer bluesy but not so crunchy lead tone. thanks. :p
    professorlamp
    ts7 and ts9 have the same circuitry so its ever bit as good (it just doesnt LOOK as good) but who cares about looks?
    gee_bee_123
    hey people. I'm planning to get this soon. can I use it to achieve an AC/DC-like tone?
    penderp0)))
    I've been using the TS-7 for just a couple weeks now and couldn't be happier. I run my modded Tele (With Gibson PAFs) through it and a Arbiter Fuzzface into my Sunn Sorado head and have more than enough boost to achieve some great Doom Metal tones. A friend recently told me that my guitar sounds like a dying woolly mammoth, so I'm pretty satisfied with that. Without the fuzz and with the drive turned down mid-way on the TS-7 it is very easy to get good classic rhythm and lead tones. Recommended!