TS808 Tubescreamer review by Ibanez

Ibanez: TS808 Tubescreamer

Purchased from: Guitar Center (How Cliche)

I play a Fender Showmaster QMT HH on a Line 6 Flextone III XL. With the versatility and power of the amp (it pushes 150 watts to 2 12's), the addition of this pedal makes the amp really scream. The pedal, as with most Overdrive pedals, is somewhat noisy with the "Tone" knob turned up. The addition of a noise suppresor will surely cure this problem. I play a lot of classic rock and blues rock along with some 90's alternative. The effect only gets weak if the battery is dying. The tones of Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Stevie Ray Vaughan, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Creedance Clearwater Revival, George Thurgood, The Meat Puppets, Nirvana, Candlebox, Live, and silverchair (just to name a few) are all atainable using the pedal along with the gear I mentioned earlier. There's obviously only one effect (Overdrive) and this pedal does it very well... they wouldn't have reissued it if it didn't!

The reason I got this pedal in the first place was because I was in search of that classic creamy rich overdriven sound and the TS-808 is the perfect match. If it were stolen or lost I'd defenitely get another one. The ease of use and general quality of sound are the most likeable things about the pedal. I compared to a Marshall Overdrive pedal and a couple of Boss pedals and I just had to buy this one, it really is a nice pedal.

The TS-808 is built like a rock. You drive nails with the thing. The battery supply is a different story. As with most effects pedal this one will go through them pretty quick, I'd use an AC adapter if I were going to play a gig. But otherwise, I wouldn't worry about any sort of backup.

I can answer this rather quickly. I don't think they really had "firmware" in the 1960's. The TS-808 has three knobs "Overdrive," "level" and "tone." You can't get any easier or more straight foward than that.