TS808 Tubescreamer review by Ibanez

Ibanez: TS808 Tubescreamer

I'm using an Ibanez RG570 into a Guitarport or Roland Cube 30, the Guitarport for recording and the Cube for practice. The idea when I bought this was to use it as a solo boost to an already distorted channel and that is what this pedal does best, it provides tremendous sustain and tone to your guitar. It can also be used for rhythm playing to get that nice AC/DC type of sound. Keep in mind that the Overdrive even when turned way up isn't that loud so it's not so good as an distortion pedal but that's not what it should be used for either.

My style of music is rock, metal, blues and this pedal can cover most styles, but I think it's best for Blues and Instrumental rock like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai etc. The best thing about it is the sound it produces, the difference it makes. My amps fell dead if I'm not pluggin it in. It could have more gain though, but that's alright, it's not it's primary purpose to act as a distortion pedal. As a comparison I've tried all the Marshall distortion/overdrive pedals and I felt like they were lacking something, once I picked up the TS-808 Tubescreamer I found what I was looking for. So if you want a classic warm sound with loads of sustain, try the TS-808. If you want loads of distortion I suggest you buy something else.

I never had any kind of problems with it and I think I'll never have. The original TS-808 are still functioning and demanding high prices after a decade, so I think I can depend on it.

The TS808 is very easy to use and you can tell just by looking at it. It's 3 knobs that you control Overdrive, tone and level with. The on button which is a fairly big metal plate can be located beneath the knobs.