TS9 Tubescreamer review by Ibanez

Ibanez: TS9 Tubescreamer

I use the TS9 through a Les Paul Studio and a hot rod Deville 212 amp. It can be a little noisy when the knobs are all on 10, but nothing out of the ordinary. Overall it's just very smooth and creamy. It's a very in-control kind of pedal, and it always sounds great. The TS9 is very capable to emulating your favorite artists. Kicking up the tone will give you a very nice srv sound, roll up the gain a bit more and you have a good hendrix tone also. And of course, this pedal is more than great for rhythm playing, and those classic rock power chords are always crystal clear.

I play blues rock, and this is definitely a good match. After 30 years of playing professionally, the Tubescreamer pedal is the best Overdrive I've used, and always will be. As for Overdrive pedals, its the only one I have, I sold the 3 other ones I was using when I got the TS9 and only needed that. If I lost this pedal I immediately get the same one. This is the Overdrive to use. That's it. I love the smooth and creamy drive it gets and the seasick green finish. Compared to any other drives, whether it's the Boss OD or the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, etc. it kicks total ass. It's got everything you need, nothing you don't!

This is a very solid pedal. I like the actual stompbox part, and that its neither a noisy pebble to step on or a flimsy feeling Boss button. It's a nice well sized metal piece that moves very smoothly. It's pretty well weighted, etc. all the knobs seem in good check as well.

The Tubescreamer is extremely simple to handle. The three knobs for gain, tone and level are just what they are, and really no matter where they are you get a good sound. It's just about finding what you like. I hear they're pretty easy to modify if you want to, I've read articles on how to hot rod your tubescreamer to make it hotter, mellower, higher gain, whatever. I'm fine with what it does now though. The manual that came with it was good, just had the basics. No suggested settings section, but you really don't need that once you plug it in.

redwing_suck
    To whoever may be reading the second review, this pedal is NOT a distortion pedal. You'll be disappointed if you want some heavy stuff... you have to push this to get AC/DC-ish stuff, and it's simply not capable of Metallica-ish stuff. SRV used this... you have to be good to make this pedal sound good.
    oscarmg_99
    actually if dont think metallica uses it better look at some studio pics you can cleraly see kirk with a ts9 and a cry baby