TS9 Tubescreamer review by Ibanez

Ibanez: TS9 Tubescreamer

Purchased from: New York Music

The sound that the Tubescreamer produces is what impressed me the most. If you are looking for that extra drive, this is where you will find it. You can use this pedal to accentuate other pedals of your choice, or just use it alone and receive some great Overdrive. It brings that true vintage tube sound to life to almost any amp. I use it with a '69 Fuzz pedal and on my '65 Fender Twin Reverb and it allows me to get the kind of Stevie Ray Vaughn bluesy sound. With this pedal, you can also recreate vintage sounds by adding mod kits to it. One of the more popular mods is the TS-808 mod. Using any of the modifications you can do to this pedal can give you exactly what you are looking for in your sound.

Overall I would recommend this pedal to anyone searching for a good solid Overdrive unit. It can really bring life to your guitar playing capability, and is great for generating that extra drive in a solo. For someone who is into blues, blues rock, or even classic rock, this is a good pedal. If you are looking for distortion, this isn't really what you want.

I've been using this pedal for about 2-3 years now and I haven't had a problem with it yet. I've played some small gigs with it and it has never failed me. One suggestion for this pedal I would like to make however would be to buy the AC adapter, it tends to run through batteries quite fast. The sound will also begin to lose its drive if your battery is dying. As for durability, it is constructed out of steel, and can withstand some abuse. I've stomped it pretty hard and it still looks and functions great.

This effect pedal is just like any other pedal when it comes to the difficulty of its use. With the Tubescreamer's simple design of knobs at the top, input and output on the side, and an on and off stomp switch in the middle at the bottom, it really needs no instruction. This pedal features custom settings for tone, drive, and level of intensity, yet it's the unique sound you get that will impress you the most. This pedal runs on battery energy, however you can purchase an adapter for it for around 15-20 bucks. Brand new this pedal usually runs around $100, luckily though I found one new during a close out sale.

JayJayE
    btw the TS9 is an OVERDRIVE pedal, not a distortion. Yes there is a difference.
    JayJayE
    Kirk uses his TS9 as a booster for his lead (which it is very good at). His normal distortion is in fact his Mesa. My opinion os TS9s are great but are best used with another distortion pedal or a good tube amp.
    gregg freeman
    to best describe the sound this baby creates, think of the stone roses - This is essential in a guitarists arsenal!
    box_of_trix
    I don't understand why so many people are using this pedal as a distortion for their clean channel on their amp. I wanted to know if this pedal was a good boost infront of an already distorted amp for those lead moments. Its either this or an MXR Zakk Wylde Overdive or a Maton overdrive!! After the reviews I have read here, it still doesnt help me decide!!