TS9 Tubescreamer review by Ibanez

Ibanez: TS9 Tubescreamer

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

After I tried this pedal, and the sound absolutely blew me away. The modifications allow for a warmer, fuller, richer tone. I play through a '65 Reissue Fender Twin Amp and a 2002 American Fender Stratocaser, Gibson Les Paul Special, and Ibanez RG350MDX. The pedal covers all of these perfectly. Unlike the original Tube Screamer, instead of the Drive going from 1-10, the Keeley mod Drive goes from 4-14, allowing for a wider range of tones. The pedal is surprisingly quiet, only giving off feedback under extreme circumstances. The range of the tone is incredible, you can get a slight Overdrive, a heavier Overdrive, or, if combined with your amp's Overdrive setting, a heavily distorted sound that still provides a great tone. The tonal possibilities are practically endless.

I mostly play Blues and Rock, and, when I Pick up my RG, delve into the realm of shred (Gilbert, Vai, Satch, etc.) This pedal covers them all; again, the tonal possibilities are endless. I bought this pedal after four years of playing, and it will surely stay with me for the as long as I Live. Of course, when buying this, I had to compare it to other Overdrive pedals. I compared this to three different pedals: the Boss Blues Driver, Ibanez TS9, and the Ibanez Classic Reissue of the TS9. After much deliberation, the Robert Keeley mod of the TS9 stood head shoulders above the rest. If you're looking for a beautiful overdirve pedal with a rich, warm, full tone, look no further than this Keeley modded Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer.

This thing is built like a tank, and, although I haven't dropped (I'm much too careful with my pedals), I'm sure it could withstand some abuse. I've used it in gigs before, and it's able to be powered by both a 9V battery and an AC Adaptor. Although, I do find the battery too last much shorter than expected.

When I decided to buy the classic TS9, I walked into my local music shop that I go to almost everyday and asked the clerk if I could try the Tube Screamer. He let me try out the reissue of the Tube Screamer, which costs about $100. I tried it, and loved it. Then, he let me in on this little secret; the Keeley modded TS9. There are knobs for Drive, Tone, and Level. These knobs allow for a wide variety of tones that are easy to access. The manuel that came with it was helpful, but it didn't provide anything that one couldn't figure out within the first 30 minutes of owning it. The simplicity of the pedal allows for any tone a person wants, with three simple knobs.

War-Pig
    One of the reviews, "dont buy this without a decent, all tube amp" I'm playing with a Vox AD50VT. Is it such a bad idea? I mean I will get a tube amp eventually, along with that american strat.
    berysLTD_h-50
    ok, i bought this pedal last week, and i got it yesterday so far, im not super exited with it... i play it on a line 6 spider III head and cab. i use i mostly for solo boosts, but the tone is a little bit too clean, any one know how i could get a little more overdrive to give the pedal a little better tone?
    jordy-77
    SRV used to ts808's in a row, which has already been stated just to clear it up. But does anyone know what the main difference between the ts809 and ts9, is it worth spending that extra $70?
    spoonylove90
    i have a good tube amp and this thing boosts my OD channel quite nicely. gain on the amp at about 4-5, and all the knobs on the TS9 cranked. can you say solo channel?
    ShredMetal
    Some ideas for people to use if they want this for heavy metal. Use a metal muff/Du Hast and link up 2 TS9s, Heavy cascading gain.
    nibbleschew
    WARNING!!!! I love the TS9, best overdrive pedal I've ever played, my set up = Ibanez AXS42>Digitech Whammy>FM4-Filter Modeler>TS9>Cs3 Compressor> DD-20 Giga Delay, 2 DL-4's>Palamino V32 Tube amp(soon to be a Vox AC30)... But anyway back to the "WARNING!!!!". I was playing with said set-up, and I simply clicked the TS9 off, and after only 4 months, the switch broke... and is unfixable. The guy at guitar center told me it was just a bad switch and I should get another one, I probably will, but just to be sure you should really get warranty like I didnt do...