TS9 Tubescreamer review by Ibanez

Ibanez: TS9 Tubescreamer

Price paid: € 70

I'm using a Cort X-2 and Peavy tube head with a Mesa Boogie cabinet and the sound is crystal. It is also plugged into my other pedals a wah, a distortion and a delay. The good thing is that you don't hear that annoying "bzzzzz" sound when you're on high gain. It can also be used as a booster. But carefull! In case you want to boost don't turn the gain knob all the way up. This will low your frequences and your volume will get lower. You have to turn the gain to about 1-2, the level knob full and then you'll get the boost. It is also an analog pedal so the sound you can get is pretty far amazing.

My playing style is mainly post-rock and experimental type of music. I'm also a guitarist in a gothic-metal band. It matches well with the experimental genre 'cause in some songs you need an OD and not a Distortion.But as I said before I'm using as a boost in the gothic band for the solos.If it was lost or stolen I'd propably buy the DigiTech Bad Monkey instead cause it's newer and cheaper. I love the colour of the TS-9 but one thing that is really annoying is that the LED light is so poor compared to my other pedals, and it's not that the battery is low. The only thing I wish it had would be a brighter LED light. Overall this pedal can do its work well.

It is said that Tube Screamers often have problems. I have heard many stories about not working on stage and stuff. Even for the one I have the guy told me that it might not work sometimes and that I have to take the battery off, replace it, press the toggle switch a few times and then it comes back to life. I would go without backup because I can rely on my Hot Head Distortion. And I don't have any more pedals so.

The famous Ibanez Tube Screamer also known as TS-9 is one of the most descent Overdrive pedals and it has been used by many guitarists over the years. 3 knobs to mess around with, a tone, level and a gain. My friend of which I bought it from did not gave me a manual but you don't actually need one since the use of it is easy. I can get a warm overdrive at any level of the gain knob. It is quite heavy I can say, cause when I placed it into my pedal case my shoulder just "went off" while carrying it to the studio.

Emenius Sleepus
    very nice pedal when you want to round out your lead tone, or bring some light distortion into your mix. Quite useful
    Bluestube
    Love this pedal paired with a good tube amp it is the best pedal youll ever get!!
    JackDanger
    Lots of heavy bands use this pedal on its own. It is NOT a distortion pedal but due to the amount of overdrive it produces and the rich, smooth tones it manages to keep it can be used as the perfect compliment to a tube solo head. It gives the head's gain a bit of a boost and you don't loose any sound quality, helping you acheive a heavier, yet still clear sound.
    gibson-sg-rocks
    the guitarist from Black Rebel Motorcycle Club uses 4, yes 4 of these bad boys. look it up on guitargeek.com if u don't believe me. i want just one however. is it best for a boost or a single overdrive on the clean channel on a tube amp? a bit pricy though.
    gibson-sg-rocks
    i bought one of these today. if i dont like it with my setup, i can return it to the guitar store for a refund. i havent played it yet though, because its late in Australia atm. i got it for $175, ebay is cheaper. i'm afraid to mod it just yet.