TS9 Tubescreamer review by Ibanez

Ibanez: TS9 Tubescreamer

I'm running this in front of a Peavey 5150 II, along with two separate Marshall Valvestate amplifiers, and it sounds great in front of all of them. It tightens up the sound and adds a warm high-mid spike to the sound for an eighties tinged boost sound. This pedal is very quite, and it always does its job. It sound best as a boost for an already overdriven amp, giving it a tighter, edgier sound with plenty of grit.

I play a lot of metal and punk, and I've been playing music all my life, and I have to same that this is one of the finest effects I've ever owned. If this was stolen, I would buy a new one immediately, and I'd keep doing it until the authorities apprehended the pedal thief responsible. I compared this to a Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive and a TS808, and I decided to go with the TS9, as it has a warm, yet very tight and gritty sound to it. The only thing that could make this pedal better is if it came with a second one right in the box.

This thing comes in a metal case, so I would definitely rely on it, and gig it without a backup. I would, however, always run it with a power supply, as batteries are simply too unreliable in a guitar pedal.

This is the famed TS9 Tubescreamer pedal, used by everyone from Peter Frampton to Unearth, this pedal is the best way to add extra grit, juice, and bark to your sound. The learning curve on this thing is right around zero, with just three knobs, one each for level, gain and tone. The level knob of course boosts volume, and is great for pushing an amp harder that normal, while the gain knob, while lacking a plethora of distortion, certainly adds a very desirable saturation to your sound. The level knobs affects the high end of the sound boosting or cutting it, and after being turned past three o'clock also adds volume. Anyone can figure out how to use one of these, and they instantly make whatever you're playing sound better.