TS9 Tubescreamer review by Ibanez

Ibanez: TS9 Tubescreamer

Purchased from: Used Local

I am using this pedal with a PRS SE Semi-Hollow and a Peavey Classic 30. I have used this with a Mooer Chorus and a Jimi Hendrix Wah, and it works well with both of these. There is no noise that I can hear, powered by a battery and a Joyo Powersupply 2. The effect is not weak at all, but is isn't a very heavy overdrive. You can get a good classic rock sound out of this, similar to AC/DC and Led Zeppelin. I use it for a light overdrive, so I can get a Creedence Clearwater Revival and Beatles like sound. You can also use this to boost an Overdrive channel to get a higher gain sound. The Tubescreamer as a prominent "mid hump", which some people may or may like. I like it, but this may be a problem for someone else.

I play alot of different music ranging from funk and reggae to hard rock. This is a Overdrive pedal so you wouldn't use it in alot of genres. This is a great pedal for different styles of rock, and anything where you need a little bit of dirt. I have been playing for more than 5 years, but I have listed all the gear I own in the review. There isn't really anything that I wish this product had, but there are many mods that you can do to this to make it better/different. I was going to get a Joyo Vintage Overdrive, which is a Tubescreamer clone, but for the price that this came up used for I may as well get the real deal. I like the range of tones you can get from this pedal, but it isn't for really heavy stuff. You can use it as a boost on the dirt channel of an amp, or use it as a lighter overdrive. I don't like the LED because of the problem I listed earlier, but I mainly play at home so it is not a huge deal. This pedal would be better if there was a Bright/Warm switch so it would have even more tone capabilities. If this was lost I would buy it again, only if I could find it used, only because there are many Tubescreamer clones that are close to it, but not exact for alot cheaper. This is a very good pedal that everyone should get. I rate this a 8, because of the problems I have listed, but there are probably mods you could do to fix them.

I could depend on this during a gig without a backup. It is in a Solid Metal casing and the knobs are secure. The jacks and AC power jack are tight, and don't feel like they would come loose, but people should check every once in a while just to make sure that it will work and won't stop working at a gig. One potential problem is the LED. When you look at it at an angle, you can't tell if it is on or not. This isn't much of a problem at home, but might be a problem at a performance.

This pedal is great. It is very easy to get a good sound out of it, I found the sound I was looking for within 10 min. Since I bought it used, it didn't come with a manual. I don't really think you need one just because it is a simple pedals with 3 knobs (Drive, Tone, and Level). Drive controls the amount of gain, Tone controls the tone (duh), and Level controls the amount of volume. The Tone knob range isn't as "wide" as some might like, but has a fairly good size range. I rate it an 8 because of the tone knob.

Clark Griswold
    Great Overdrive pedal for clean boost. When adding it to distortion / chorus / reverb, it creates some great classic tones. Its an overdrive pedal, not a distortion pedal. I am very very happy i picked this up.
    Campbell22
    I play in a metal band, if I used this with only the distortion from my peavey 6505+, would it be an interesting combo ?