TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer review by Ibanez

Ibanez: TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer

Purchased from: Ishbashi Music

The TS9DX has mode modes, all of which sound slightly different. TS9 - exactly the same as a regular TS9 + TS9 with more crunch, hot - more mids and gain, turbo - more bass and gain. I haven't had it very long but I've been mostly using teh regular TS9 setting which is great (see TS9 reviews) and has a really soft warm sound. I find the other modes a bit "boomy" in my rig so I dont use them much for rhythm though the "turbo" and "hot" setting have a good lead sound, very Pink Floyd-ish.

The TS9DX is more pricey than the TS9 but not by much. In my opinion this pedal, like a regular TS9 is best used with other distortions/fuzz or a tube amp. Despite the lack of usefulness of teh other modes (maybe I'm being unfair, I haven't had it long enough to really give them a chance), its still worth the extra 3000yen ($20-30) for the extra options. Just like the regular, it sounds better as part of an overall sound than a stand alone Overdrive. However working with other pedals and tube amps is something TS9S are famous for and they do it well. I use a lot of effects (I wont list them all) but most importanly I also use a ProCo Rat 2 distortion feeding into a Boss EQ. I've put the TS9DX in front of teh Rat 2 to feed an already overdriven signal to be distorted. It's working a charm. I still mostly use the Rat but the TS9DX is great for more gain for lead or a softer dirty sound when I need it. I use a Fender Strat and a "lawsuit" ES-335 into a Vox Valvetronix at home and a Fender Twin at rehersal or practice. My band plays indie/alternative/post-punk kind of music like the Cure or the Smiths. Keep in mind, the TS9DX is not a distortion pedal and will not get a Metallica, Slayer sound (on its own anyway).

Like most decent pedals (Boss, ProcCo), it's built solid. I haven't used it for a gig yet but I imagine from the way its built that it's pretty reliabile. I have a couple of other Ibanez effects and I've never had any problems with them.

Exactly the same as a normal three knob Overdrive pedal (drive, tone, level) save the 4 way mode switch (TS9, +, Hot, Turbo).