TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer review by Ibanez

Ibanez: TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer

Purchased from: Mothers Music

I use the TS9 with a Fender Cyclone II (Mustang/Jaguar equivalent), and a Peavey Valveking 100 Half-stack. Compared to a TS808 and a TS9 the TS9DX emits virtually no extraneous noises. As an Overdrive pedal the effect is somewhat 'less' to an untrained ear however to people Who can respect great tone the effect is awesome; however when running on batteries once voltage begins to drop off the effect begins to suffer a tiny bit. Virtually every artist in the history of Rock/Metal will have, or will use a Tube-screamer and it is very easy to replicate the sounds they produce.

I play mostly rock/blues/metal, the TS9DX is a great match due to its high versatility. I have been playing for 5 years, I have numerous other effects pedals and I regularly test different ones out at music shops. Before purchasing this product test it against a TS808, TS9, and a Boss Overdrive first, this is a very personal item. I love this pedal because it is so versatile and it can do what the other tube-screamers cannot. My favorite feature is turbo mode, personally it sounds awesome. I recently did a Side by side comparison of what most people would consider the 'best' Overdrive pedals (TS9, TSMod9, TS808 reissue, and a Boss OD-1) although the TS808 was awesome it was slightly noisy and a bit on the pricey side for my tastes, which means that the TS9DX won since the other three I compared were not as versatile. The only thing I wish it had was a TS9 Modded chip but, with the cost of school I can't afford to send it away. If it were stolen I would write song about how much I missed my TS9DX.

I would use this pedal at a gig without a backup, something I can't even say about a very "select few" of my Boss pedals. Durability shouldn't even need to be questioned on these pedals.

The TS9DX Turbo Tube-Screamer is a signature "classic" Overdrive effect from the guitar manufacturer Ibanez. Getting a good sound out of the TS9DX is fairly simple there are four knobs which are fairly self explanatory. Drive: rotate to select the mount of "drive", drive increases the 'depth' of the distortion. Level: controls the output volume of the signal. Tone: controls the tone. Selector knob: allows selection between "Normal" TS9 operation, Mid-Boosted "+" mode, gain boosted "hot" mode, and the signature near distortion "turbo" mode. The manual was very simple and provided a few presets, however it did not give a good enough description of "what" the controls do.

treflip
    I'm looking for a high gain metal sound for my Ashdown Fallen Angel, I take it this would help? Or an EQ pedal?
    MetalGore
    wow my review made frontpage , I'd like to thank the academy, my mother, my guitar, and all of the people who made this possible
    Quoteman
    I love mine, but the IC chip on the inside is a piece of garbage. Spend less than a dollar and get a JRC4558 and swap them out. It'll get quieter and sound better.
    SicSeb
    I was thinking about getting a tubescreamer in the future... Sound pretty good.
    mr synyster g
    i've had this pedal for a few months, too. it's pretty reliable but the turbo and hot settings are a bit "boomy." and it does sound better w/other distortion or overdrive.
    Kayfan