TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer review by Ibanez

Ibanez: TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer

I usually run this through a Crate 65W amp on both clean and dirty settings. The thing I love about this pedal is that you have four completely different tones in one. The TS9 setting gives you a nice midrange bite, while the + setting gives you the same with an added bass boost. The HOT setting is basically a bass boost with a slightly warmer midrange, and the Turbo setting is all crushing bass Overdrive. While you can experiment for a bit and get good sounds from each one, the +, HOT, and Turbo settings can be a bit overpowering and boomy when pushed too hard on most settings, causing buzz and unwanted fuzzy overtones. I find that when pushing the mids fairly hard on my amp, having the level all the way up on the pedal, and the Drive all the way down on the pedal, the tone all the way up, and using the TS9 setting, I can accurately reproduce James Hetfield's punchy, midrange heavy rhythm tone. However, it's very difficult to produce good Overdrive or crunch tones without making it too boomy or bite-your-head-off trebly.

I play all breeds of metal and hard rock, and I find this pedal is a good match for coloring my distorted tone, but not really for producing typical "overdriven" tones. I have been playing for 4 years and I have an Ibanez RGR320EX, a 65W Crate amp, an Original Dunblop Crybaby wah pedal, and an Epiphone SG Special. If this were stolen or lost, I would buy a few extra just in case it ever happened again. My favorite feature is the TS9 setting, because it adds such an awesome midrange boost to the Original tone, which can really bring nuance and definition to your playing. Overall, this is probably the third most valuable piece of equipment I own, next to my fingers and guitar.

This pedal is extremely rugged. I would run it over with a car, toss it off a cliff, then beat it with a hammer, and still gig without a backup. I have stomped the living chocolate out of this pedal so many times it would make your head spin, and it's held up for two years without so much as a nick in the paint. 'Nuff said.

Overall, this pedal is pretty simple and easy to use. It has 4 settings: TS9, +, Turbo, and HOT. It also has a Tone knob, a Level knob, and a Drive knob. The manual that came with it includes a few settings, but with the amp I use, (a 65W Crate) they all sound the same.