WD7 Weeping Demon review by Ibanez

Ibanez: WD7 Weeping Demon

Price paid: A$ 280

Purchased from: Shire Music Centre

What setup (i.e. what guitars and amps) are you using it with? I use a range of guitars from a Strat to a Les Paul and a Vox AD50VT, even on single coils the WD7 offers a full rich sounding wah wah which can cover pretty much all styles of music from funk to metal to classic rock. Is it noisy? On what settings? The only time that it gets noisy is if the guitar sound itself is noisy. So if the pedal is off and you're getting noise from the amp, that is the only time that you'll find that it's noisy. Are the effects weak or do they always sound great? Not at all, this wah wah is a powerfull effect which can really pull it's weight. It's only ever weak if you have none of the settings adjusted and the wah level turned all the way down. Can you get the sound of your favorite artists? Who are they? Very much so, such artists like Jimi Hendrix, Kirk Hammett, Tom Morello and many many more can be heard through the classic setting on the pedal which can be found inside the manual.

What style of music do you play? Is this a good match? I play pretty much all styles of music and cover alot of songs from a large variety of artists and i am very impressed with the sound and quality of the WD7. Anything from Voodo Chile to Enter Sandman continues to stun me with the fantastic sound of the classic setting from the manual. It has a comfortable, smooth wah wah that isn't too harsh and is suitable for any type of style. How long have you been playing? What other gear do you own? I have been playing for 3 years and this is the second wah wah I've owned and I'm sure it'll the be last one I own. I also use a Boss DD20, Hardwire Metal Distortion, DigiTech DF7, MXR EVH Phase 90, Boss CH1, Morpheus Drop Tune and a Boss TU2. The WD7 works very well in conjunction with all these pedals and I am very very happy with it. Is there something you wish you had asked before buying this product? Nope, all my questions had been answered after i tried it in the store If it were stolen / lost, would you buy it again or get something else? Absolutely, what other pedal can give you the versatility and control other than the WD7 and still give you just as good of quality sounds as the Crybaby 535Q and for alot cheaper! What do you love about it? What do you hate? What is your favorite feature? I love the versatility, how I can match any sound I want with just the turning of a few knobs and a flick of a switch. I love it's durability and it's strength, it's a very powerfull wah and it's the best I've heard and tried in my guitar playing life. I don't like the size though, it is a bit of a chunky pedal but it's sacrifice you make for a fantastic quality pedal. My favourtie feature would have to be the automatic switch on. Instead of pressing down hard on the pedal to get it operational, I just use the pedal and I've instantly got a fantastic wah at power of my feet! Did you compare it to other products? Which ones? Why did you choose this one? I compared it to the Crybaby 535Q, I was looking for a pedal that I could customize and could get a whole range of different sounds for. The price for a Crybaby 535Q was not worth the sound, whereas the WD7 really came through with it's affordable price and quality sound. Anything you wish it had? What more could you want? All the sounds of your favourite artists, in this one effects unit!

Can you depend on it? Absolutely, have not had a single problem with it. Durable metallic casing which will not subject to any damages or breakages. Would you use it on a gig without a backup? Yes absolutely, the only time I'd need a backup is if I'd lost it or somebody had stolen it. Extremely reliable and can be used gig after gig after gig.

How easy is it to get a good sound out of it? Very easy, with 3 preset settings that Ibanez have given you, you can get anything from a classic crybaby wah wah to a squealing metal solo sound just with a few minor adjustments. With a high, mid and low 3 band eq you can really take control over the sound. You can also set up to how much wah wah is in the mix which is really handy if you just want something quiet in the background or something loud and chunky driving your guitar sound. There is also the option of having it turn on as soon as you press down on the pedal or to turn it on via a switch. If you choose the option of the automatic switch-on you can set how much delay of the wah wah there is after you stop using the unit and the pedal retracts back. There is also a low and high range setting, if you want a really high frequency wah wah noise then switch it to the high or if you want a low growling wah then you would switch it to the low setting. Overall, the versatility and control you have over the Weeping Demon is that comparable to the Crybaby 535Q How is the manual for it? The manual comes in a range of languages and has some preset settings in it to really get an idea of what the pedal can do.