iRig 2 review by IK Multimedia

IK Multimedia: iRig 2

Purchased from: IK Multimedia Online Store

The iRig 2 is truly plug and play, with some very simple controls for gain, and for "thru" or "fx" to allow the dry signal to go to your output device with "thru," or the processed signal with the "fx" setting. There is absolutely no discernible latency in the devices that I tested this with, which includes an iPhone 4s, an iPhone 5, a friend's MacBook Pro, and a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I tested with various versions of AmpliTube (including my favorites, AmpliTube Slash and AmpliTube Hendrix), as well as some non-IK Multimedia apps on my iPhone. Also tested this with the IK Multimedia iLoud, which paired up for excellent results. The iRig 2 also comes with a clip and strap to attach the iRig 2 to a mic stand, or whatever you need to attach it to.

The device is essentially an interface that allows you to play your guitar or bass through Amplitube and other modeling software with your compatible device. The secret to getting a good sound seems to predominantly depend on the gain setting on the iRig 2, which I had to play with a little bit to get it right. From there, if you use a guitar amp for your output just set it clean with a flat EQ. I got some pretty good results, but to get good clean tones, the gain on the iRig 2 was a vital control. As always, the controls on the amp models in IK Multimedia's Amplitube apps are very useful for creating the tone you hear in your head.

I've been using IK Multimedia's products, especially their iRig line of products, almost since they first began releasing mobile recording products. I haven't had any negative experiences with the reliability or durability of their products. The iRig 2 is very lightweight and is made of plastic, but as a mobile interface you wouldn't be super rough on this device, anyway. I don't think it would have any issues with the normal wear and tear from traveling with this, setting it up at jam spaces or small stages, or using at home for practicing or jamming. If I were to be super picky, I would prefer a slightly heavier material for the housing just for peace of mind. Also, I would prefer the 1/4" input where replaced by a combo input that also accepted XLR. The combo input for XLR would, unfortunately, require that the device be made slightly larger than it is currently.

I'm fond of IK Multimedia's approach to mobile recording, which strikes a good balance between cost and quality. At the price point that IK Multimedia offers I challenge anyone to find a comparable product to the iRig 2. I personally use this for practice, especially with headphones or ear buds when I have to travel. It is very easy to just keep the iRig 2 in my guitar case and have it with me anywhere I carry my guitar. There isn't much you can complain about at the price point. I'm fond of IK Multimedia's approach to mobile recording, which strikes a good balance between cost and quality. At the price point that IK Multimedia offers I challenge anyone to find a comparable product to the iRig 2. I personally use this for practice, especially with headphones or ear buds when I have to travel. It is very easy to just keep the iRig 2 in my guitar case and have it with me anywhere I carry my guitar. There isn't much you can complain about at the price point.

hansvanbaren51
    The IRIG2 os NO plug and play on the Samsung Galaxy5. After many attemps and support, the output volume continued on level "0"! Very frustrating. Then i installed it on my Ipad Air. Smooth installation. And it worked. However, the noise and humming is terrible. No clean sound but disturbing noises. Ergo; the rig goes back to the distributor.
    billmorr
    Although it is advertised as working on many android devices it does not work on Samsung Galaxy S5!
    DarthKegRaider
    It is crap on Android. I have tried on the Galaxy S5, stock 5.0 android (laggy!) and I have 2x iPad Air2 for my kids. It works fine on one of them, the other is distorted. The 640MB download was a bit much for what it does in my opinion, and since I bought it to take on the road with me whilst at work using my android phone, it's absolutely useless. Don't waste your money, buy a cheap portable amp.
    johnhuddleston
    I agree this product does not work well with my Galaxy S5 (too much latency). But it works great with my iPad using head phones. It's way smaller then even a belt clip amp. I also use it through my Bose Soundlink speaker. The sound quality is like a large modeling amp -although that Bose speaker can't get extremely loud. The sound quality is way better than a belt clip amp. I use it with my Traveler guitar so everything is small.