iRig 2 Review

manufacturer: IK Multimedia date: 03/23/2015 category: Guitar Effects
IK Multimedia: iRig 2
The magic of the iRig 2 is that it is both cross-platform compatible (yes, that means your iPhone, iPad, Mac or even Samsung Professional Audio compatible Android devices), and also includes a 1/4" amplifier output which opens some doors in how the iRig 2 can be used.
 Ease of Use: 8
 16,866
review (1) pictures (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
iRig 2 Featured review by: UG Team, on march 23, 2015

Purchased from: IK Multimedia Online Store

Ease of Use: The iRig 2 is truly plug and play, with some very simple controls for gain, and for "thru" or "fx" to allow the dry signal to go to your output device with "thru," or the processed signal with the "fx" setting. There is absolutely no discernible latency in the devices that I tested this with, which includes an iPhone 4s, an iPhone 5, a friend's MacBook Pro, and a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I tested with various versions of AmpliTube (including my favorites, AmpliTube Slash and AmpliTube Hendrix), as well as some non-IK Multimedia apps on my iPhone. Also tested this with the IK Multimedia iLoud, which paired up for excellent results. The iRig 2 also comes with a clip and strap to attach the iRig 2 to a mic stand, or whatever you need to attach it to. // 8

Sound: The device is essentially an interface that allows you to play your guitar or bass through Amplitube and other modeling software with your compatible device. The secret to getting a good sound seems to predominantly depend on the gain setting on the iRig 2, which I had to play with a little bit to get it right. From there, if you use a guitar amp for your output just set it clean with a flat EQ. I got some pretty good results, but to get good clean tones, the gain on the iRig 2 was a vital control. As always, the controls on the amp models in IK Multimedia's Amplitube apps are very useful for creating the tone you hear in your head. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've been using IK Multimedia's products, especially their iRig line of products, almost since they first began releasing mobile recording products. I haven't had any negative experiences with the reliability or durability of their products. The iRig 2 is very lightweight and is made of plastic, but as a mobile interface you wouldn't be super rough on this device, anyway. I don't think it would have any issues with the normal wear and tear from traveling with this, setting it up at jam spaces or small stages, or using at home for practicing or jamming. If I were to be super picky, I would prefer a slightly heavier material for the housing just for peace of mind. Also, I would prefer the 1/4" input where replaced by a combo input that also accepted XLR. The combo input for XLR would, unfortunately, require that the device be made slightly larger than it is currently. // 7

Overall Impression: I'm fond of IK Multimedia's approach to mobile recording, which strikes a good balance between cost and quality. At the price point that IK Multimedia offers I challenge anyone to find a comparable product to the iRig 2. I personally use this for practice, especially with headphones or ear buds when I have to travel. It is very easy to just keep the iRig 2 in my guitar case and have it with me anywhere I carry my guitar. There isn't much you can complain about at the price point. I'm fond of IK Multimedia's approach to mobile recording, which strikes a good balance between cost and quality. At the price point that IK Multimedia offers I challenge anyone to find a comparable product to the iRig 2. I personally use this for practice, especially with headphones or ear buds when I have to travel. It is very easy to just keep the iRig 2 in my guitar case and have it with me anywhere I carry my guitar. There isn't much you can complain about at the price point. // 8

- Brandon East (c) 2015