iRig UA review by IK Multimedia

IK Multimedia: iRig UA

Dialing in a tone is easy but with a smaller phone and the Amplitube UA app adjusting tone/vol could be easier with a side sliderbar as in the Samsung Pro Version. (That is a side issue) You will need to keep the card with the UA that has the serial # on it since it is not on the device for Registration to get the Distortion pedal, Manual, and a free Version of Amplitube 4.

When you are on the road and want to play guitar you can't take your rig with you and for 20+ years I have use about every headphone amp out there. Sometimes preferring them to the modest gear I had at home. The UA delivers in spades. Unlike other gear the is no latency when connected to my Samsung phones or laptop. Whether I use a job radio, travel amp (Roland Cube Lite, Beringher, Blackstar Fly) or Bluetooth Speakers is sounds great. Sometimes using a friends home stereo for amplification the sound is much better than all its predecessors. The amps are realistic especially the clean amp which sounds better than my Blackstar ID:30. Using the UA basic amps (Clean, Crunch, Lead, Metal) is as good as having a ID:30 or Mesa MK IV in your pocket. I really like (purchased) Soldano SLO-100 for Hi-gain the low end is better than the Metal amp. Overall I prefer the Blackstar because of its tube like sag and headroom but the headphone output is weak and makes the UA a viable alternative with headphones. The effects are way superior to and other headphone amp and the ID:30. The UA amp gives you plenty of stomp boxes to get you started and go any direction you chose to go well. Which is great since I play Jazz, Hardcore, Prog, Rockabilly, and sometimes Blues. Compared to the Line6 M9 I find the effects to be superior on the UA thought not as many. Then again I never use much of those effect anyway. I like that you can move the effect pre or post in the chain.

The UA is very light but durable since I have use this for about two years on the road with out issue. It has been dropped or slid off surfaces to the ground many times. Due to its lightweight it is prone to move alot unless you take measures to insure it from moving. Which now I use rubber bands or Velcro. What I can say it is road worthy. I would say and of course you would use it in a gig but could serve as a backup if you have the right cord and a PA.

While I had Apple envy I am quite please I am not plagued with the software issues that Apple users are having. Especially since the app is free for Android and Apple uses paid for their apps but with more effects and features. I do miss the drum tracks of The Pandora PX3 which has been an mainstay for years I find that the sound quality of the UA and not having to change batteries all the time to be a plus. The UA I can jam to written material or Jam Track/YouTube from my phone or computer with is better than just drum tracks. I always have the phone and computer on the road. The V-Amp was not that portable and didn't run on batteries. The Zoom products were ok but like the Pandora, V-amp, the effects were medocre at best the amps sounded meh at best. I like to tinker with sound and styles and with the UA I don't miss my home gear when on the road. If fact it there was a pedalboard switch I would like forgo my other gear at home. Just a Mic stand with Phone, UA connected to a PA, Simple.