Decimator Noise Reduction review by ISP Technologies

ISP Technologies: Decimator Noise Reduction

Price paid: € 169

Purchased from: Thomann

Having used Boss NS-3, Boss GT-10, Zvex Box of Metal integrated noise gate and some low cost multi-effects (mainly DigiTech) I just say this is the best sounding one. Switching the Decimator on/off make no noise and doesn't impact the sound of my gear (BC Rich KKV Signature, Taylor Solidbody Standard, Charvel So-Cal Style 1 amped by Blackstar HT-5 Combo or Marshall JVM-205C) but just the noise. It cuts the tails of the notes that I play (but I think this will be unavoidable with a noise gate). Decimator is by far the best noise gate that I ever used. The pedal works its best before the amp and not in the effect loop and this is a problem for me because the Marshall is very noise with the distortion cranked up (Orange and red mode of the Overdrive channel). My rating comes after two months of ownership of the pedal so I'm confident about what I'm talking about.

I use the Decimator pedal for heavy distorted sound (Metallica, Slayer, Death Angel, etc. type of music) and It's the best one I ever owned. I try it, in my home, with Boss NS-3, Boss GT-10, Zvex Box of Metal integrated noise gate and the noise gate modules of cheap DigiTech multieffects and the Decimator clearly rules by far. The Boss Ns-3 impacts heavly the sound also when switched off and isn't so easy to use, GT-10 it's uneffective and digital, the Zvex is by far too aggressive and has very strange effects (it cuts the tail of the note but the note has some strange come back: so the tails is fading out and coming back for 2-3 times before going away forever!). The Zvex is OK only for fast paced rithm guitar with palm muting. The Decimator is by far the best but also the more expensive ... I already bought, but not yet received, its big brother (Decimator G-String Pedal) so: Yes, I will buy again if stolen or lost (actually I already done that. I really like that it is easy to set-up, doesn't impact the sound when bypassed and does its job very well. I don't like the cost (169 euros it's a lot of money for a noise reducer) and that it is not so effective in the effect loop of my Marshall. Decimator cost twice the Boss and it's really at least twice better, in my opinion. So I give it a 9 (I'm against the 10s: nothing is perfect).

I'm not gigging Live but It feels well build: metal case, solid switch, heavy enough to not fly away if you stretch the cables connected. If I will gig live, playing thrash metal, I for sure pack another one (I'm waiting a Decimator G-String Pedal: the big brother of this one), not because I'm questioning the reliability but just because I can't play that kind of music without a noise gate (or maybe I'm not skilled enough to do that :-) so I need a backup.

It's just a noise reducer with one single knob (my Boss NS has 3 knobs). To set up the pedal just switch on your gears, listen to noise and turn counterclockwise the knob until it became undetectable. Done these steps, just play a note (I usually play 12th fret of the high-E/first string) and turn clockwise the knob to have the note plays as long as you need. End of the job. The only thing that I really want will be memory for the position of the knob (but I suppose this will impact in depth the project behind the pedal). It is not easy to change the battery but I use a Boss power supply so I'm not concerned with this.

fretman5000
    Oh if you put a compressor before this thing, it will keep your sustained notes loud enough so that they dont get cut off by the isp. dont let the cutoffs ruin your liking of the pedal, compressor solves it all