Decimator Noise Reduction review by ISP Technologies

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
ISP Technologies: Decimator Noise Reduction

Purchased from: guitar center

My set up is a Gibson LP into a Boss PC3 > a Danelectro V1 Transparent OD > Pro Co Turbo Rat > Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe > BBE Two Timer > Tc Electronics Trinity Reverb > BBE Sonic Stomp > ISP Decimator > Ampeg V50 H. The one con of this pedal is the higher you turn it up the more it chokes your tone, in particular your upper mid's/ highs in that the length of the sustained note is shortened by more than half. I can very easily sustain a note for 10+ seconds and with the decimator turned up it gets cut down by half and if high enough it will silence or choke your tone to very unacceptable levels I managed to get a weird tremello effect a few times. The easiest solution is turn your other things down. One of the things I really do not like about this pedal is that it appears to limit my delay repeats and my reverb trails so I need to be mindful of this and turn it off for when I want my trippy shenanigans. I will note that it does appear to be a more effective pedal (meaning that you don't have to turn it up as high) with a battery or independent power supply because it does work better isolated. (Warning this thing does eat batteries pretty quickly.) Although this review appears to be very negative the pedal allows me to run my amp/pedals at much higher volumes and if it is just the guitar and amp I can dime the whole amplifier have the pedal at 9 o'clock and be dead silent (assuming I am using clean electricity).

I play metal so this thing is pretty much essential for having nice tight palm muted riffs, especially with the heaping loads of gain and volume I do apply my amp. When I bought this I compared it to a Boss NS-2 and it is absolutely no comparison the Decimator destroyed it. I would rather see the DigiTech battery hatch though because that would make changing a battery that much. This is a great pedal if you know how it behaves and can do some minor adjusting accordingly.

I had it for 6 months and has not failed me yet. The housing is sturdy because it is the Boss casing. I have yet to gig with this thing but I can assure you if I were I would be using fresh batteries or an isolated power supply just for the sake of consistency. I noticed the cleanliness of one's power greatly affects this pedal and your need adjust your knob.

Although it has one knob it is not the easiest thing in the world to get a usable tone out of it because of how fickle the knob is, also it does not like having to adjust to higher input levels so you need to adjust this accordingly. So if you have an od in your chain and decide to use it you might as well have the od on the whole time, because if its over the threshold the decimator might as well not even be in your chain. And if you want to switch between on and off for the od and you still want the decimator your tone will suffer pretty severely for it. This pedal does one thing and it does it a little too well. So if you can turn the od and the decimator off and on at the same time.

KukaluluRecords
    I bought the Decimator at Guitar Center. $140.00 out the door. It is a good pedal and it does exactly what it is suppose to do. By far, better than any other noise gate pedal on the marked. It DOES NOT change your tone. It KEEPS your sustain. It senses what you are doing and then, intelligently gets rid of the noise (hiss, feedback, etx.) You can simply adjust the one knob to cancel the noise. There is not need to have any other knobs! ISP has made a very good product. YES it is very expensive, but, it is also the very best.
    AndyGray
    I wish people would stop saying it works in two places. They clearly don't own the pedal. The G-string model cannot be placed in two places. The first run through the pedal simply tracks the guitar sound, the second time is the only time the signal is gated. It's the best gate out there at the minute, doesn't suck any tone at all!
    BurstbuckerHoe
    This is a great pedal - I had an SG with p90s and they always made a lot of noise during gigs, this pedal helped me manage the noise. Of course when the gate is open you can hear fuzz on top of your guitar tone, but that is the nature of noise gates. this pedal will cut the tail off delays and reverb though, depending on the threshold you set (which is a very intelligently designed feature.) no regrets purchasing this unit