Decimator Noise Reduction review by ISP Technologies

ISP Technologies: Decimator Noise Reduction

Purchased from: Philippines

I bought mine used in mint condition, has box and manuals as well. The manual says it how to use it correctly although I'm not interested with connecting it to another decimator (cause I can't afford another one). It's one of the easiest pedal to use as it has only just one knob. It's you who will adjust to your sound levels. Unlike other pedals this one automatically adjusts in closing the gate as you turn the threshold. It will kill some sustain yes if you use it too strong to the right, but will give you endless sustain if used correctly with the right amount of threshold. It will also have volume drops when turned all through the right. But I guess its normal so be careful with the threshold.

I'm am currently using an Ibanez Art120 guitar (borrowed) - a pretty decent-sounding guitar if you ask me and is very good for distortions and rock, but with its active pickups (IBZ-HZ) it's pretty noisy with some distortion pedals. My practice amplifier is a Hayden HGT-P 20 watts with a tube preamp loaded with a Celestion Super 8, enough just for for small jams and room practice, pedals that I use on gig which is a generic tuner, a Joyo Vintage Overdrive, MXR Dime Distortion, Joyo Ultimate Drive, Nux Time Core delay, and a Mooer ensemble king all this powered thru a VITOOS Powerpack power supply.

I play metal most of the time. Some punk and sometimes alternative music for jams but personally stayed more on heavier stuffs when practicing. I have a metal band and sometimes we play on gigs. Pretty good reputation for a noise gate next to Boss' NS2 as they say it never cuts your sustain" I'm amazed. Here in the Philippines it's pretty hard to find one unless you order it online and shipping and the Tax here is awful. I got mine used but in mint condition, paid php7000 or $150. It might be crazy that I use 3 dirt pedals at the same time for stacking reasons and for some boost purposes. It's because it sounds very full on my setup that the 3 dirt pedals simultaneously turned on for my main distortion but created enormous and extreme feedback and high-pitched noise(it will be obvious and normal) specially on loud volumes while on stage. When I first plugged in the decimator on my rig, I put it after the 3 dirt pedals (Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo Ultimate Drive, MXR Dime Distortion) and before the chorus and delay. I engaged all the 3 dirt pedals and created feedback obviously. Then I engaged the Decimator II. Still feedbacks. Then I turned the knob of the decimator slightly into the right - still feedbacks. I turned it again up until it reaches beyond -10dB. And greater and it still gave me feedbacks. I almost think it was defective at first, but then I noticed that I have all the gain on the pedals on full and their knobs rumbled randomly turned. After I have set the pedals correctly it started to work fantastic. I now placed it between the two Joyo overdrive and Dime distortion then exits next to a delay. Turning the knob between -30 and -20 and the noise completely was gone but keep in mind that it has still have to adjust with the amp's overall volume. The only problem I think occurred is the knob. Turn it ever slightly and the difference is huge. For its purpose in noise reduction, I think it's very effective in its class. I can have much harmonic feedback as much I want without worrying about the noise when I stopped pressing from the fretboard.

This pedal although I have it only for months, being a "used gear" (I don't know how new) I think it will withstand any abuse. Its the heaviest pedal that I own (and the most expensive one on my rig.) its built like a tank. Very solid and though. Haven't had any problems yet. I have gigged with it and sometimes I don't bring my pedalgrill because I don't have a flight case to carry it so I'm carrying all the pedals individually. I don't worry about having it dropped or anything but the only concern I think for this pedal is the print in the front and the paint can get easily rubbed off.

I have it for months now and think this pedal is worth for its price. As it keeps your sound very tight and focused minus the normal hissing and exaggerated feedbacks. It will bring you to a professional level of performance specially when live. Every guitarist must have this equipment on their board if there is any greater I don't know, but this pedal the ISP Decimator II is what you need in live situations. If this is lost, for its price I don't know if I can buy it again. Its pretty expensive.