TubeDreamer 58 review by Jam Pedals

• Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Jam Pedals: TubeDreamer 58

Purchased from: Peach Guitars

A few final words on the tonal exploration of this OD pedal. If anybody has any doubts still, this pedal is literally for everyone, every over driven tone you could possibly want is locked within that pedal, but at £165 so it should be! Everything about the accessibility of this pedal just feels right. The knobs are in the right place and coloured appropriately, the input/output jacks are on the sides and the on/off switch has a nice click to it so there's never any doubts as to whether you've hit the switch or not. Don't sit there thinking about it, go buy it!  Full marks across the board.

More people should be buying JAM pedals... No seriously, get out there and buy some! Bit of history first, JAM Pedals is a pedal manufacturer from Greece aimed at the "boutique" pedal market. Saw them first in Guitarist magazine a couple of years back and was drawn to their outrageously psychedelic paint jobs, as well as their sterling reviews from basically every site I looked at, so I decided to purchase the TubeDreamer58 to go along with my then new Victory V30 "The Countess" amp for added bite. Only just decided to review this pedal now since I noticed there is only ONE other JAM pedals review on here and more guitarists simply must know about these pedals!

The pedal comes with true bypass and uses only 8mA of power when it's on so it's definitely a power saver. Lasts hundreds of hours with a 9V battery and can also be wired up to a DC power chain such as the Fueltank Junior like I have. Please be aware that these pedals use positive ground so make sure if you've got it wired up to a pedal chain that all the 9V DC outputs are isolated.

But what really matters is the sound of pedal. Played through my PRS S2 Mira and V30 it sounded stonking even with my amp set to low wattage mode, it sounded even better when I set it to gig wattage. The whole sound from this pedal just screams AC/DC when your guitar is in the bridge position! Roll off the volume knob on your chosen axe to about 7 or 8 to get a good rhythm crunch and be sure to roll back to 10 for your solo tone. I play a lot of blues too, mainly in the SRV territory, and this pedal is perfect for achieving that Stevie Ray Vaughan "howl" when soloing with my guitar tone knob taped out to single coil.

The TD58 still performs perfectly no matter how many pedals are on simultaneously and there is very minimal noise from the pedal when it's active even with a lot of gain added. I use Fender Custom Shop Tweed cables to link all my pedals (even patch cables) and the signal through 7 other pedals let alone this baby is crystal clear so I cannot comment on the level; of noise it produces but I'm pretty sure it would be minimal even with budget cables.

The TD58 comes with 3 knobs; a level, tone and gain knob and the tone variety you can create along with tinkering with your amp and guitar is limitless. Make no mistakes folks, this OD pedal is the real deal. Full marks in this category!

The TD58 is a pedal built to last, no doubt about that as soon as you unbox it. It comes in an aged cardboard box that somehow makes it seem more vintage before you've even took it out. It has it's own separate drawstring bag, also weirdly coloured with a nice smell to it. The pedal is weighty and feels like a quality build. The knobs might as well be welded to it they're that fixed. Just everything about this pedal is of excellent and boutique quality. It also comes with some padded feet for stability so you don't scratch any floors should you not have a pedal board. Rest assured, she won't break. Full marks again.

For the style of music I play with this pedal it's perfect! I've played everything from AC/DC to SRV, Joe Bonamassa to Joe Satriani. She handles it all with a diversity and tone clarity I've never seen in an OD pedal. I've been playing for over 10 years now and have only recently started seriously upgrading my gear so this kind of pedal isn't necessary for beginners, those on a budget should look elsewhere, but for those of us who seek and can afford these pedals, it's absolutely worth it. I'll have this pedal until the circuits die.

One thing I do wish I had known before I bought this was that it comes with some awesome exotic optional custom artwork! Check out the recent batch of Achenbach art pedals, they're something badass! SO far there isn't a thing I hate about my TD58, I love every aspect of it, and best of all, it doesn't stupidly boost the volume if you got it cranked, it blends seamlessly with the volume of your amp and guitar. Too harsh? Just back off the volume on your guitar and it responds with beautiful precision.

JAM Pedals also offer several other OD pedals (all of which are excellent). You can choose from the TD58, TD+, TD88 and the most popular TD72. All will serve you well if the internet's to be believed. The only one thing I wish that my pedal had is the new MK2 upgrade of the gain switch that comes with the new shipments of pedals that turns your amp into almost fuzz tone territory. Anyone buying this pedal this year will get that extra switch. I think the only pedal that could truly rival this is the equally fantastic Suhr Shiba Reloaded.

TheBlisterer
    Sorry folks, while writing my review the "ease of use" section appeared at the bottom of the page. I thought it would appear at the end of the review so because of this read ease of use after durability. Thanks for reading and but this pedal!