D-SEED Dual Channel Digital Delay Review

manufacturer: Joyo date: 12/10/2014 category: Guitar Effects
Joyo: D-SEED Dual Channel Digital Delay
I was looking for a delay pedal that had to have two features: 1 - I had to be able to do tap tempo on the pedal; 2 - it couldn't break the bank. And the Joyo D-SEED delay met both of my criteria and offered a lot of other features too at a price way lower than any other market delays offering the same things.
 Ease of Use: 7
 8.1
 7.5
 8.7
 10,109
review (1) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
D-SEED Dual Channel Digital Delay Reviewed by: guitarsngear, on december 10, 2014

Purchased from: www.donnerdeal.com

Ease of Use: To me the features offered on this pedal really set it apart from a lot of others on the market especially in the price range. Has the standard mix, mode, time and feedback controls you find on digital delays and they all work well and are pretty straight forward. One cool feature is that using the time knob you can adjust the delay from 0-1sec but if you use the tap tempo feature you can set the delay from 0-6sec (that is pretty huge delay for a pedal this price). The pedal also has 2 programmable channels! This is by far my favorite feature. Setting the channels up I can set one with a nice digital delay and one with a nice analog setting then use the channel select to switch between digital and analog delay without having to touch the pedal with my hands. This is an awesome feature, especially for playing live where you can't be reaching down to fiddle with a pedal. This feature alone has given me so much more versatility in how I play and use this pedal.

This pedal only has a 9V adapter option - no battery - I run all my pedals on a power supply anyway so that really isn't an issue, but if you have ever used digital modulation effects on batteries you know that they don't last long so you are usually going to go the adapter route anyway. The tap tempo works by clicking both buttons at the same time to enter delay tempo mode, clicking them both again exits delay tempo mode with the delay set to the amount of time between the entering/exiting clicks. You might think that sounds like it would be hard to do, but the buttons are actually pretty close together, and soft touch so it's easy to click them both with your foot. The draw backs of the tap tempo are that the LED verifying that you have entered tap tempo mode is hidden by your foot when you click the buttons and only having one click to set the tempo can be hard to get the exact tempo you want sometimes. // 7

Sound: The pedal has 4 modes of delay COPY - clean digital delay. ANALOG - a digital approximation to an analog delay (my favorite setting). MODULATION - which is the COPY setting with chorus/modulation added. REVERSE - like it says. Sound wise the first two modes are where the pedal shines for me. The COPY setting is nice and crisp and clean like a digital delay should be, but still sounds musical. The ANALOG setting has a nice warm decay as the delay repeats and gently breaks up and fades away, it sounds really warm and natural and is my favourite setting. The modulation setting has a bit too much chorus for my liking, not bad for some chords in the mix, but by itself the modulation overpowers, for me it doesn't get used. And reverse is reverse, haven't used it much as it's not my style but sounds like it does what it says, its a little wonky sounding and I don't see myself using it. The pedal is not true bypass but does not colour your sound or cause any volume drop when in your signal chain, and it is also dead silent, which is a major plus in any rig.

I use the pedal for ambient sounds and some light delay for chords or clean fill work and I am very happy with the sound (the two modes that I use). // 7

Reliability & Durability: The pedal feels hefty and sturdy in your hand. It is equipped with 2 metal soft touch switches which makes button operation really nice and smooth but also like you can step on the switches without breaking anything. The control knobs are plastic but feel sturdy enough and turn smoothly. Everything seems to be built strong, it doesn't feel flimsy or cheap. The input/output jacks are circuit board mounted which is pretty standard for non-boutique pedals but it does create a wear and tear potential on the circuit board so it looses so points on durability. // 8

Overall Impression: I was looking for a delay pedal that had to have two features: 1 - I had to be able to do tap tempo on the pedal (a must for live playing with delay); 2 - it couldn't break the bank. I looked to be heading to a Boss DD-7 pedal but then I found the Joyo D-SEED delay which met both of my criteria and offered a lot of other features too at a price way lower than any other market delays offering the same things. I hoped it wasn't too good to be true and bought the pedal, I wasn't disappointed. My favorite and most used feature is the two programmable channels which is unheard of on a delays in this price range.

I have been playing guitar for almost 20 years now and have used my fair share of guitars and gear over that time. I know quality and I know junk when I see it and use it. I play a lot of worship/church music which is the majority of where I use my effects, I also play a lot of metal so I have an ear for a wide range of music. // 8

Comments