JF-01 Vintage Overdrive review by Joyo

Joyo: JF-01 Vintage Overdrive

Purchased from: Amazon

This is where most "cork sniffers" will want to shield their eyes because this pedal performs GREAT! No, I'm not talking "Well, for 40 dollars... It's great!", NO, simply great by any standards. I stacked this against a TS8 and could produce the exact same sounds at almost the exact knob positions. I didn't have to "work" to make them sound similar, they naturally were almost identical. This pedal even produced some very nice subtle nuances that the TS8 lacked, in my opinion. I ran this pedal through a Fender Deville 2x12 also going into a Marshall 4x12 1960 cab. The tone knob is very functional and useful for dialing in either a creamier, smoothed out tone or one that posses a stronger "bite" to it. The volume can also be tweaked to cleanly Overdrive your amp, or simply boost another pedal easily depending on your application. Now, you get a true bypass pedal that sounds exactly like what it's cloning, has the full function of what it's cloning, and for much cheaper? This is a winner folks. I normally never give very high ratings to gear as I find most don't deserve it, but when it comes to sound quality overall, this pedal is a solid performer. It currently resides next to my Fulltone Plimsoul and I don't plan on moving it anytime soon.

Wow. Is all I can say. I know it can be hard to mess up a tubescreamer type circuit but this pedal is simply great. If you want something with more options than Tone, Volume, and Drive, then look elsewhere but if you need something to fill in your basic and classic tubescreamer needs, this is just as good, if not better taking into consideration the price, as any of the competitors out there. I know these pedals will soon become the next sought after item and I'm glad I've been able to snatch these up before they raise their prices! I don't give overly positive reviews unless the item deserves, and believe me, this one does. Pick one up for yourself as soon as possible, you won't regret it.

It comes encased in a solid green, metal enclosure with an albeit slightly plain design. The knobs are strongly seated, the jacks are sturdy and show no sign of movement when inserting or removing lines in and out. The foot switch also clicks on and off without any noticeable problems. It feels sturdy overall and I have already put it through hours of continuous studio time without a fault. I say it ranks among your Boss' and EHX's in terms of durability as well as reliability.

These pedals and it's maker, Joyo, have been causing a stir as of late in the pedal world (or at least my part of it) for their amazingly good sounding clones of higher priced pedals that not only sound scarily similar to their templates but that are also true bypass as well. Deciding to take the plunge I bought a couple of these pedals and this was the first one I put through its paces. This is a very simple and obvious clone of a Tube Screamer and even posses the a JRC4588 chip, which, to my ears sounds VERY nice. This pedal has three knobs: tone, volume, and drive. Each of them function smoothly throughout their turning radius and produce the expected boosting/cutting response proportional to the direction they are turned. The pedal also has the classic latch switch that turns it on and off upon depression. It's a very simple and straight forward pedal that can be powered by battery or standard DC plug and has a red LED letting you know when it is engaged or not as well as your standard In and Out for 1/4 cables.

guy_tebache
    My band's other guitarist uses this drive and its incredible for the price. He's a veritable OD/Fuzz junky with loads of boutique and expensive ODs and this one is his mainstay OD pedal, hands down. I've seen lots of pedals come and go but this one has held its place longer than all but a select few pedals on his board. If you're into overdrives, GET IT.
    st-michael
    A definite goer! I bought the vintage phase for $35, and the "cork sniffers" probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference between a Script and mine!!
    guy_tebache
    As much as this pedal and the phase are great, I've lined up the phase with my CSP 74 Phase 90 and theres a definite difference. The MXR is warmer and has a nicer sweep pattern, I think. But dont let that stop you getting the phase! its brilliant on a budget.
    madh4ttr
    looks kinda cheap when you first see it but damn it sounds REALLY GOOD. So worth the money!!