JF-02 Ultimate Drive review by Joyo

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Joyo: JF-02 Ultimate Drive

Purchased from: WTFAccessories

I used an SG through a Fender Mustang I at home. The sounds are very good for classic rock, Led Zep, Hendrix, etc.. AC/DC. It is not noisy, and it is a "true bypass", which means that if you are using batteries in a gig you don't have to worry about losing all the sound. Although I would Not bring this pedal to a gig unless you have resoldered everything.

Overall, it is a very promising pedal. If you get a good one, (decently built), you are probably up for a decent pedal, but the chances are very high that something is going to go wrong with the switch. That said, it is an excellent platform for mods if you are very handy. The sound is good. Not comparable to the OCD as they claim. They also ship from China and they take 2-3 weeks to get to the US and if you have to return it you can send it back without a confirmation number for $15 or you can pay $75, which makes no sense. I sent mine back to WTAccessories over a month ago. They say that they return your money, but the "claim" that they have not received it. So, I am out of luck, but hey, I just lost $55. I could buy a warranted pedal in the US for that price, used Boss on Ebay, Digitech, Behringer, etc. (even if they are made in China). The philosophy of this company is to copy the real things (Ibanez Tube Screamer, OCD, Phase 90, etc.) for a fraction of the price. The OCD is not comparable to this one, and the Phaser is not even close. Plus, they are outraging the creators of the real pedals and are probably facing serious trouble. I don't know how they can get away with it. Check out their tube amplifiers. In the end you get a non very reputable copy of a product (and very cheaply made), and the old adagio applies: you get what you pay for.

I would not use a Joyo pedal in a gig. They are very cheaply made. I ordered 4 and two of them were defective. The switch is not well soldered. If you have a soldering iron and you know how to resolder, then this pedal is for you. Otherwise I would for something better built. My pedal only sounded when the pedal was engaged. Another pedal had the same issue with the switch.

This pedal has the same settings as the OCD pedal. Volume and tone, and a switch for high and low mode. The sounds of the pedal are great. The sound is very classy: Rock. It is very straight forward and easy to use. The difference between high and low mode is just in volume, not really in quality.

kj62
    I liked the jf01 so much I bought the Harley Benton version of this pedal for less than 25! Absolutely delighted with this, in conjunction with the jf01 vintage overdrive, it gives the full range of overdrive from the mild crunch to the full on roar, but all delivered with a composure, subtlety and smoothness, that retains the character of the guitar beautifully. It all goes to show that you don't have to pay big money, or have the 'right' name on your gear to find quality. Buy one of these and the saving you make over the boutique equivalent will buy you a nice 112 cabinet with a top end celestion speaker, that's what I did!
    Evergrey
    JOYO / HARLEY BENTON COPY LIST JF-01 Vintage Overdrive = Ibanez TS-808 JF-02 Ultimate Drive = Fulltone OCD (or Rip off Freakish Blues) JF-03 Crunch Distortion = Mi Audio Crunch box JF-04 High Gain Distortion = Marshall Shredmaster JF-05 Classic Chorus = ? JF-06 Vintage Phase = MXR phase 90 JF-07 Classic Flanger = ? JF-08 Digital Delay = ? JF-09 Tremolo = Diaz Tremodillo JF-10 Dynamic Compressor = MXR Dyna Comp. JF-11 6 Band EQ - MXR 6 Band EQ JF-12 Voodoo Octave (Fuzz Ultimate Octave) = Fulltone Ultimate Octave JF-13 AC Tone (Tech 21 character, Liverpool = VOX AC30 amp) JF-14 American Sound (Tech 21 Character, Blonde = Fender Amps) JF-15 California Sound (Tech 21 Character, California = Mesa Boogie Amps) JF-16 British Sound (Tech 21 Character, British = Marshall Amps) JF-17 Extreme Metal = EHX Metal Muff JF-31 Noise Gate = ISP Decimator JF-32 Plexi Drive = Wampler Plexi-drive JF-33 Analog Delay = MXR Carbon JF-34 US Dream = Suhr Riot JF-35 Pocket Metal = ? JF-36 Sweet Baby = Mad Professor Sweet Honey JF-37 Analog Chorus = 1980's Boss Chorus JF-38 Roll Boost = MXR Micro Amp
    jessejames36
    I just got one and I really like it. I run it through a Fender Deluxe and a Marshall combo and it sounds great. Real smooth sound and not hard to find a sweet spot. I have a mini Metal Muff if I want to get real loud and crunchy, but this can be set to everything else in between.
    Mystify339
    I've had one for about two months now and to be frank, it's worth every penny. There's a massive range of different sounds inside this unnassuming little box, it's great! also, one thing you can do is turn the level right up and the gain right down with the tone at about 12 and you can use this in conjunction with another grr pedal as a volume boost for a solo or big chorus
    stephen.barton.
    I just bought the Joyo Ultimate Drive. $45, free shipping. This thing sounds exactly like the OCD. I WENT OUT TO BUY THE $198 OCD to use with my other Fulltone and Voodoo Lab pedals, and came home withe the Joyo. It is in a solid box, but the bottom is crappy like a DOD pedal and the battery compartment is the same as a DOD pedal. But I saved $150, so I can live with the plastic bottom. It's a great pedal. Buy one before they all get changed to the Dr J brand which is twice the price.