JF-02 Ultimate Drive review by Joyo

Joyo: JF-02 Ultimate Drive

Purchased from: Amazon

It is really easy to use, the sound that you like may be different from what I like, but I don't think that it is hard to find a good sound. There are a minimal amount of controls, but they all work well and actually change the sound, that may sound like a given, but I have had things that sounded the same no matter where the dials were set. The "manual" is just 1 piece of paper that really doesn't say anything very helpful, but it isn't necessary to figure out how the pedal works. You just have to know that the volume controls how loud it is, the gain controls the distortion/overdrive and the tone controls how bright the sound is and the switch can change how bright it is too.

I play pop-rock, alternative rock, hard rock and nu-metal for the most part. I mostly use this pedal when playing pop-rock or alternative rock. I use it with Garage Band since I am a bassist who also happens to play guitar and I don't have the money for a proper guitar amp yet. It sounds really good, much better than the Behringer pedals I owned in the past that cost about the same price. It is a mix of an overdrive and distortion IMO. It has a rich sound, much nicer than the Boss OS-2 and DS-1 I compared it to. I usually keep the tone at 2 o'clock and the gain at 1 o'clock. I prefer the low setting with my ESP/LTD EC 256, it keeps the warmer sound of the Les Paul style guitar. My only complaint would be the little bit of hum it makes, but that is easily fixed with my Behringer NR300 noise reducer.

The pedal seems solid and reliable. It has a metal case, much more durable than the plastic ones that a lot of cheap pedals have. I haven't noticed any problems with it, the foot switch works fine, the knobs turn smooth and don't make noise. I would definitely gig with it without a backup. Though it wouldn't cost much to get another one of these if you were paranoid that it might break. That's one of the great things about this pedal instead of the $130 OCD that it copies. I am very impressed with how well made it seems for the price.

As I said before this pedal suits styles of music that don't need an excessive amount of distortion, but still need a good crunch. It keeps a good fat tone along side the distorted part that a lot of pedals don't have and I find to be a plus. It definitely beats the Boss OS-2 and Behringer TO100 I have used before. I wish it didn't have the weird devil/demon head on it because it really doesn't seem like it's made for the kind of music that represents, but that doesn't make me not love the sound of it. I would definitely buy it again if it were stolen or lost.

datmusicdude
    After watching your videos, I believe, I'd like to add Joyo's US Dream to my OD collection. Cascading two OD's can be just what the doctor ordered a lot of times. Try one before the other, and vice-versa. Grab some of the gain from one box, the rest from the other, works out beautifully. The tone is much more complex.Rock on!
    igorfervel
    I have Joyo Ultimate Drive, Roll Boost, Analog and digital delay and US Dream and Vintage Overdrive, so the full pedalboard hehe, and all those pedals works great. I made a short demo of Us Dream and Ultimate Drive here:
    Will add more demos soon.