JF-06 Vintage Phaser review by Joyo

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Joyo: JF-06 Vintage Phaser

Purchased from: eBay

I'm running this through my Vox AC30CC2 plugging into either a Fender Tom DeLonge Strat, a Fender Baja Tele, or an Epiphone Les Paul 60's Tribute. The pedal doesn't seem to be pretty noisy. I was never a big fan of Phasers so I was trying to find one that would be cheap so that if I didn't like the sound I wouldn't be taking a big hit. The effect is very subtle. In contrast to my MXR Flanger that is. It's a nice effect to use to add a little flavor to a clean guitar sound.

Playing in Alternative and Pop Punk bands doesn't exactly make this an essential pedal for me, but I've had fun playing with it. I've been playing for about 6 years now and surprisingly this is the first Phaser I've used. My advice however to someone looking to buy this pedal would be to check the used market around them. The day I ordered this thing, an actual MXR Phase 90 popped up on my local Craigslist for the same price. Wish I would have picked that up instead. When this thing is broken, or for whatever reason is stolen, I don't plan on buying another one, I'll just try and find a used Phase 90.

My main gripe with this pedal is that as soon as I took it out of the packaging, the knob fell off. Typical case of you get what you pay for. The pedal feels sturdy and it has a true bypass switch so it seems sturdy. I haven't gigged with it yet so I can't comment on it's reliability in that situation. Even if I gigged with it, it wouldn't be a pedal I exactly abused.

This pedal is a clone of the MXR Phase 90. Comes at about half the price however. The box only says PEDAL with a sticker on the side that tells you which Joyo pedal it is. The instructions and the description of the pedal are in English and for the most part useless. However there is only one knob so there isn't much you can fiddle with.