JF-07 Classic Flanger review by Joyo

Joyo: JF-07 Classic Flanger

Purchased from: eBay

I'm using an Aria 'Super Strat' type of guitar, going into a Laney practice amp. The effect is not overly strong, nor is too weak, but it's not as 'whooshy' or dirty as other flangers I have tried. It does give a noticeable volume boost. I use this with a Vox Saturator/Boss SD-2 going to a Joyo California Sound then into the flanger. It sounds quite good, but not amazing. Clean, it probably sounds best, giving a a chorus-type effect, but a little thicker; overdriven sounds quite good, but with the regen turned up there's an odd sound which creeps intermittently, which lets this pedal down a bit. It is of course, like the other Joyos, true bypass.

I play classic/heavy rock, a bit of metal and whatever takes my fancy at the time. I played for 5 years before giving up and have recently started playing again after more years than I care to remember. If it was stolen, I would only buy another for home-use. I will continue to use this until it breaks as it's good enough for a rare effect. Joyo issue their pedals with a 9v battery (good for them!), but I run it off a DC brick. I've given an overall score of 7 as it's a great pedal for the price, but there are better flangers. Not to say this is bad as it isn't, but I think it's suited to anyone that doesn't use a flanger a lot or on a budget.

The case is a tank, so I don't expect this to be a problem unless you are an ape with your equipment. I cannot comment on the wiring or the rest of the internals, but I've used mine for a couple of months without issue. I'd use it as a gig, but as it's not an 'always-on' effect I wouldn't bother with a backup.

Once again the Joyo manual is useless, but it's a straight forward effects pedal. This one is not the easiest to get a usable sound out of, with many settings sounding quite poor. Having said that, a bit of experimentation and I found a few possibilities, but it would be improved if any setting was usable. Because of this I give it a 5.