JF-07 Classic Flanger review by Joyo

Joyo: JF-07 Classic Flanger

Price paid: £ 29.95

Purchased from: Coda Music

As I took delivery of the pedal yesterday, I have only had a change to play it through my Marshall MG15 FX with my Epiphone Les Paul Plus. Running the pedal directly into the front of the amp (input stage) over my usual patch (Gain 2 with Reverb/Delay) there was only a small amount of noise which was surprising for such a cheap pedal. It does knock a little of the bass out a bit, but that is to be expected with a heavy modulation effect. It took me a about a minute to dial in the sound I was looking for, and I was very pleased with the end result. I was going for the Joe Bonamassa "Blue And Evil" sound and achieved a very close approximation.

Just for the record this is the Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger with the Hawker Harrier Jump Jet on the case, not the Martial Arts guys. I am not sure of the difference, but the this one seems to be the one to have. I bought this pedal as I did not want to shell out over 100 GBP for a decent pedal, like a Fulltone, just for a couple of Bonamassa tracks and for the money it does the job extremely well. I have not yet played it through my stage rig (Marshall DSL 100 stack and Fender Blues DeVille in tandem with custom pedal board with true bypass loops and separate FX loop switching). If it were stolen I would probably buy it again as for the money I can't Imagine I would get a better pedal.

I have only had the pedal for a day, but it appears to be built fairly well. Having not had it long, I can't really comment about my dependency of this pedal, and its reliability. I can only say that it appears to be well made, at this stage, I would take it to a gig without a backup as I only need it for two tracks in the current set. However I don't take backup pedals for any of my gear. Lets be honest, not many of us can afford to buy backup equipment. If you have a pedal board that cost over 1500 and has taken some years to get it right, you generally can't afford to build a backup board!

This unit is a completely stock Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger. I am no Stranger to effects, but to be honest, I had to read the instruction leaflet to find out which characteristic was affected by each control, and to be honest, I wish the would have named them according to their instructions. There instructions is just a one page leaflet, but to be honest, once you know what each nob does, just use your ears. It is extremely easy to use and has true bypass, so there will be no tone sapping when the pedal is disengaged.

Smart Patrol
    Chinese brands like Nux and Joyo are forcing Behringer to invest more in quality control.