JF-15 California Sound review by Joyo

Joyo: JF-15 California Sound

Purchased from: eBay

I tend to keep the High & Low at 3 O'clock and the Mid at 9. With the Level at 12, the Voice at 2 and the Drive at 10 O'clock I get a slightly overdriven/dirty-clean sound which is very big (considering). I've not noticed any noise from it. The controls give a touch more than you ever need; I can't imagine anyone using any of the effects on full.

I play classic rock and touch on metal. I'm returning to guitar from a 15 year break; my Laney Linebacker practice amp is a long way from the Marshall JCM 600 & 4x12 that I owned when I was playing in bands. I was looking for something to give a fuller sound and this does the trick. I bought this model after checking out a few of Joyo amp sims on YouTube. I wish there was a boost switch for the Drive so I could swap between clean and driven sounds. I use a Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive for driven rhythm & lead work. It seems to work well in this setup.

It seems well built, but I've had it less than a month. The case is metal, it has a true bypass. It came with its own 9v battery (nice one Joyo!), but I run it off a DC power brick, so I have no idea of battery life. No problems yet and I'd use it at a gig.

The manual is pretty useless for Joyo pedals, but the pedals are easy to figure out so this is a moot point. Low, Mid, High EQ controls and Level, Voice & Drive controls. The Voice control seems to control the Drive on the mids. I've scored a 9 and not 10, only because of the pointless manual.

Evergrey
    JOYO / HARLEY BENTON COPY LIST JF-01 Vintage Overdrive = Ibanez TS-808 JF-02 Ultimate Drive = Fulltone OCD (or Rip off Freakish Blues) JF-03 Crunch Distortion = Mi Audio Crunch box JF-04 High Gain Distortion = Marshall Shredmaster JF-05 Classic Chorus = ? JF-06 Vintage Phase = MXR phase 90 JF-07 Classic Flanger = ? JF-08 Digital Delay = ? JF-09 Tremolo = Diaz Tremodillo JF-10 Dynamic Compressor = MXR Dyna Comp. JF-11 6 Band EQ - MXR 6 Band EQ JF-12 Voodoo Octave (Fuzz Ultimate Octave) = Fulltone Ultimate Octave JF-13 AC Tone (Tech 21 character, Liverpool = VOX AC30 amp) JF-14 American Sound (Tech 21 Character, Blonde = Fender Amps) JF-15 California Sound (Tech 21 Character, California = Mesa Boogie Amps) JF-16 British Sound (Tech 21 Character, British = Marshall Amps) JF-17 Extreme Metal = EHX Metal Muff JF-31 Noise Gate = ISP Decimator JF-32 Plexi Drive = Wampler Plexi-drive JF-33 Analog Delay = MXR Carbon JF-34 US Dream = Suhr Riot JF-35 Pocket Metal = ? JF-36 Sweet Baby = Mad Professor Sweet Honey JF-37 Analog Chorus = 1980's Boss Chorus JF-38 Roll Boost = MXR Micro Amp
    jinsu2301
    are these joyo pedals the same as the harley benton ones? same price, same look...
    leigh596
    joyo are mostly clones, way better than harleu benton ones. for example, the Vintage overdrive pedal is a TS9 clone. Theyre thought good of in the forums atleat
    BaptizedinFire
    Yeah, I'm also curious as to why they look exactly the same as Harley Benton pedals but still are held in higher regard than those.
    260bpm
    The British pedal sucks, I have American pedal, the best one IMO..im curious about the California but I heard its to bassy in tone..
    gabriel_volny
    I have one, I purchased it at 2 days ago and I'm learning how to dial in right tones. I have a Banzai FIreball II for a "base overdrive" and trying to make the California something about a power booster for solo parts. I want to compares with ACtone and American sound, i haven't this chance in the shop.