JF-15 California Sound Review

manufacturer: Joyo date: 07/09/2012 category: Guitar Effects

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Joyo: JF-15 California Sound
 Ease of Use: 9
 9.5
 8.5
 9,770
review (1) pictures (3) 8 comments vote for this gear:
JF-15 California Sound Reviewed by: martinsmith99, on july 09, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: The manual is pretty useless for Joyo pedals, but the pedals are easy to figure out so this is a moot point. Low, Mid, High EQ controls and Level, Voice & Drive controls. The Voice control seems to control the Drive on the mids. I've scored a 9 and not 10, only because of the pointless manual. // 9

Sound: I tend to keep the High & Low at 3 O'clock and the Mid at 9. With the Level at 12, the Voice at 2 and the Drive at 10 O'clock I get a slightly overdriven/dirty-clean sound which is very big (considering). I've not noticed any noise from it. The controls give a touch more than you ever need; I can't imagine anyone using any of the effects on full. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems well built, but I've had it less than a month. The case is metal, it has a true bypass. It came with its own 9v battery (nice one Joyo!), but I run it off a DC power brick, so I have no idea of battery life. No problems yet and I'd use it at a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and touch on metal. I'm returning to guitar from a 15 year break; my Laney Linebacker practice amp is a long way from the Marshall JCM 600 & 4x12 that I owned when I was playing in bands. I was looking for something to give a fuller sound and this does the trick. I bought this model after checking out a few of Joyo amp sims on YouTube. I wish there was a boost switch for the Drive so I could swap between clean and driven sounds. I use a Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive for driven rhythm & lead work. It seems to work well in this setup. // 9

More Joyo reviews rating category latest review
+ JF-34 US Dream 8.4 Guitar Effects 07/31/2015