BD-2 Blues Driver Phat Mod review by Keeley

Keeley: BD-2 Blues Driver Phat Mod

Purchased from: Andertons

A truely sexy piece of kit! It can give you anything from transparent clean boost at one extreme, to full out distortion at the other! that's the reason I liked this pedal, after I spent several hours testing out an array of different Overdrive pedals This pedal is perfect for bluesy stuff, but I can also use it for more metal-y playing styles by increasing the gain and tone. Because of the increased bass response of this pedal over the stock Boss one, this also adds to the metal side of playing, as well as giving high enough gain without sounding muddy. I can make my guitar squeal like a piggy! I like to use this pedal with gain at around 12 o'clock, and tone off completely for a nice warm tone, driving my Vox AC30 slightly, but still a very smooth sound.

Like I said, I spent hours trying out different pedals, including a Fulltone GT-500, T-rex Moller and I already owned a DigiTech Bad Monkey, and this pedal sounds far better than all of them! It has such a great range of tones, and that was exactly what I wanted from my Overdrive pedal. If it were lost or stolen then I would definitely buy it again (once I got some money, or supposing I got paid insurance). I would have like to have tried it out side my side with a stock Boss BD-2 to see the full tonal difference, but I'm sure that this pedal is far better, as I also wanted a higher end Overdrive for my rig, as well as it's versatility (and surprisingly low price).

I haven't had it log enough to tell for sure, but from what i see on the internet Boss's are supposed to be built like tanks, and Keeley seem well trusted, so i only have other peoples word for this.

Pretty simple set up, three knobs and a Switch, one for volume I use more just to balance the effect with the bypassed volume, gain which can give you anything from a transparent clean boost at the lowest setting, right up through mild Overdrive through to full out distortion. Then a tone pot, which varies the output frequencies, and I find that it's very easy to set up, as any setting sounds good! (well, depending on what you want). Then there is also a bass boost Switch, which is only really noticeable on single coils (as far as I can tell) as it is very subtle. It may take a while to get the exact sound you want, but this pedal will do it!

phat104u
    No, practice will help you play SRV.
    DeadlyKombat
    Nike-Man wrote: tryhonesty wrote: Looks like a boss pedal to me.Very similiar to the Boss Blues Driver series *palm to head
    Could have had a V-8
    Hsupernova
    duzit89
    phat104u wrote: Hsupernova wrote: Would this work well with my epiphone sheraton 2? i.e. would it help me play stevie ray vaughan? No, practice will help you play SRV.
    haha yes.. he is right