Compressor 2 Knob Review

manufacturer: Keeley date: 03/02/2010 category: Guitar Effects

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Keeley: Compressor 2 Knob
The Keeley Compressor pedal has is built using tone-tested components and true bypass switching for a clean, unaffected sound when the pedal is off.
 Ease of Use: 8
 9.2
 9.3
 4,776
review (1) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Compressor 2 Knob Reviewed by: theGlitch, on march 02, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: As I eagerly waited for the owner to show up at our meeting place, I thumbed through the Keeley website psyching myself up for my new purchase. After he arrived we had a brief discussion about using the pedal and I was quickly racing home to let her out. Within 10 minutes I had found exactly the tone I was looking for. Of course, this did involve reading the 1 page instruction sheet provided by Keeley, in order to know how to tweak the internal trim pots. The 2 internal trim pots control the attack and clipping. These were clearly outlined in the manual (which made it a lot easier to find the sound I wanted). // 8

Sound: As with anything made by Keeley, this pedal is true bypass; so there a nice clean and clear signal at all times. So with my Gibson Les Paul Studio and Vox AC4tvh (and 112 extension cab)the sound came through a smooth as butter. Using the input/clipping trim pot, you can get a little bit of an overdriven punch. The attack trim pot gives you the ability to get that country twang or a bit of bassy punch. With the input trim pot at a little more than full off, the attack trim pot a little less than full on, the sustain at about 11:30, and the level at about 12:30 I was able to get a nice smooth tone that lightly compressed my signal. It definitely cleaned up those outlier frequencies, like a good compressor should. My tone was definitely cleaned up like a compressor should. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Though I've owned this pedal only about a week, it definitely looks like a solid pedal that would not fail on me. Solder joints are clean steel enclosure; definitely a solid build. I definitely wouldn't need a back up at any gig. It certainly isn't build like a BOSS, but it is a solid pedal that I could throw against a wall and still be able to play it as if I just opened the package. // 9

Overall Impression: They say with a good compressor you shouldn't even realize it's on. With the Keeley Compressor on, I can tell a difference; and it's a good difference. I generally try to achieve a warm full tone that I can dirty up later with other effects. This pedal definitely gave me that last bit of warmth I needed. I play indie, alternative, and post influenced music; and have been playing for roughly 11 years. For most of those 11 years I was using an MXR Dyna Comp and sometimes the Super Comp (and sometimes them together). This Keeley comp. by far shadows those pedals. I even did a bit of a mini shootout before writing this review as a basis of comparison. If anyone were so cruel as to take this pedal from me, I would first try to hunt them down and end them, then I'd be on the internet trying to find a replacement. This pedal is everything anyone could ever want in a compressor and I will never take it out of my signal chain. // 10

More Keeley reviews rating category latest review
+ C4 Compresser 4 Knob 9.2 Guitar Effects 08/26/2011