AX100G review by Korg

Korg: AX100G

Purchased from: Musicfest SA, South Africa

I have a strat clone, but I modded it with original Fender pickups & bridge. I also sometimes play an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Standard-guage strings, going through (get this) a Phonic POD 400watt mixer with twin Whorfdale 15" speakers. I know, not normal but with this unit gives a helluva punch if you turn down the mid range. Lacks some compression, but is easily fixed with a Boss or similar dist unit. The only other neg I can find is the millisecond silence when switching presets, but in a gig with other instruments going you barely notice it. In recording you'd play different effects in different sessions anyway.

I play old-school rock (Metallica pre-Reload) and this little toy gives a very clean, smooth sound. Good for adding body to a song or going solo in US Hi-gain mode. If it got stolen, I'd definitely buy another. I'd also suggest this for beginners. You can play around and find your style, then go out & buy the expensive things. Just save the sound you want, take the unit & your guitar to the guitar shop, jam a few chords & say "That's the sound I want. What can you offer me."

I've been using it for almost a year with no problems. t's yet to fail me, on-stage or off. Battery life's a little short, but if you keep it plugged in during jams or studio work, the batteries hold fine for 8 hours nonstop.

Very easy to get the sound you want. Any sound can be modified to your liking. Plus the factory standards are stored seperately, so if you stuff up you can always scan through those & find a substitute. Saving & recalling is smooth. You can literally save a sound for each song (by name), no matter how alike or different they sound. Also, each preset has 2 pre-amp modes, so you can have your clean & dist for a song in the same preset.